Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Pocket/SA knives

I apologize if this post sounds Bruiser-esque.

Anyway, I've decided I want to get a pocket knife or another Swiss Army knife. I already have a few of the latter so if I got one of those it would have to be a major deal. I think all of these knives are pretty cool.

The problem is I have no real use for it. For those of you own these, what do you use them for? Don't mention hunting or anything, that's pretty gay. Do you whittle sticks? Give me some ideas, and maybe some links to nice (affordable...) knives.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Pocket/SA knives

I had a swiss army knife that I carried with me in the field when I was in the army. Among other things, I used...

-The large blade to open MRE packets, spread MRE cheese on MRE cracker (when the temperature was between about 50 & 74 degrees F), and occassionally cut things.
-The toothpick to clean the gunk out from under my fingernails.
-The small blade to cut smaller things or to spread MRE cheese on MRE cracker when the big blade was too dirty.
-The file to whittle away at the edges of the countertop in our command track, when bored or otherwise destructive.

Actually, that was pretty much it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize if this post sounds Bruiser-esque.

Anyway, I've decided I want to get a pocket knife or another Swiss Army knife. I already have a few of the latter so if I got one of those it would have to be a major deal. I think all of these knives are pretty cool.

The problem is I have no real use for it. For those of you own these, what do you use them for? Don't mention hunting or anything, that's pretty gay. Do you whittle sticks? Give me some ideas, and maybe some links to nice (affordable...) knives.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you own several objects of which you cant even articulate your own need for? Further more why would you want to buy yet another of these?

I have one 3.5 inch pocket knife which I bring with me when I am hiking/camping. I keep it in my desk drawer when not doing these activities and use it to open things.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 AM

Because I want. A [censored]. Knife.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I want. A [censored]. Knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever man, your life and your cash.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:57 AM

I find swiss army knives to be extraneous and totally useless.

I do carry two pocket knives on a daily basis. I carry a kershaw, specifically the non-serrated version of this knife , and I carry a fully serrated spyderco .

Why? Mainly because knives are so damn useful on a daily basis. I carry the fully serrated knife just in case I ever end up having to cut through a seatbelt or something similar. And, uh, because my Glock can't cut things...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I carry the fully serrated knife just in case I ever end up having to cut through the neck of a minority trying to rob me

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-13-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the non-serrated version of this knife

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kinda cool.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I carry the fully serrated knife just in case I ever end up having to cut through the neck of a minority trying to rob me

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you would never be robbed by any non minorities. Thats insane!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 AM

The kershaw is assisted-opening, which is about as close to being a legal switchblade as you can get - afaik. After a few weeks of working the action, it only takes a nudge with your thumb and the damn thing's available for use.

So, uh, yeah. I dont know how to fight with a knife, and don't want to learn. The knives aren't for the brown people. That's what the damn Glock is for. If I end up having to try to use the knives to defend myself, its probably over.