Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Blind Battles: Hand #5

your post makes sense however i dont understand why you fold the river (assuming a blank) after calling the turn.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 AM

Because if there was no metagame a river bet by him with no pair is -ev, and if he is tough and solid he knows this. The only thing you are folding is a busted flush draw. Also I think he is free showdowning with an ace some of the time (i would often play an ace exactly like this on this board)

-Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i notice that you fold ace high to this turn raise every time i am gonna be raising the turn with bluffs against you super often in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont know what i have.

people are advocating calling down 90% of the time. thats absurd. 40-50 is plenty high enough to dissuade shots. its unrecognizable.

[/ QUOTE ]
This discrepancy could be due to a difference in looseness of range at this point in the hand. Personally, I tend to continuation bet this turn with most of the hands I'd raise preflop and bet the flop with. After I bet this turn, I could still have all sorts of garbage. If I didn't take A9o to showdown here, an aggressive player could own me.

If you are playing a tighter range of hands this way, then you don't necessarily have to take A9 to showdown.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM

Sometimes on flops like these I like to try and checkraise the turn because it feels like you get raised almost always in these situations. If he folds a pair great, if he doesn't you still have some outs, if he three bets, I think its an easy fold unless villian is super tricky.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Paying 3 turn/river bets looks like an awfully expensive proposition to me. If you can't trust him eough to fold to his turn raise, then I think you either need to go into check-call mode on the turn or bet-call the turn and fold if he bets the river. Where am I wrong?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 12-13-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I screwplay the turn here pretty often. I doubt a tough player is calling the flop to either fold the turn unimproved or call the turn with some sort of draw, so bet/bet with A-high is a pretty dumb line unless you think his turn raise will be a move often enough that you're willing to pay the 3bb to get it to showdown. I don't find myself in this spot too often so I can't really give you my frequencies here, but I'd call more often than I'd 3-bet, and I'd 3-bet more often than I'd fold unless he's the type that virtually always waits until the turn to raise a pair in a blind battle then I'd reverse the order.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with a turn c/c and river c/c?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yah thats a really good line. so is mmcd's screwplay. i might start taking those lines more often on this board. bet/bet might be bad as mmcd says.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. How often is he flatcalling flop without the intention of moving you off the hand in some way (raising when you bet, betting when you check)...because any decent draw he would be expected to semibluff IP. Most pairs will raise to protect b/c there are so many potential overcards, and it's not like he's going to be drawing to a 6-outer in a tiny pot.

Betting the turn makes you throw away a BB most times IMO...both our ranges are so wide that I don't mind c/c'ing down, provided we also do this with some decent made hands, and screwplay sufficiently that he can't pin us to a weak (A-hi, baby pair) type hand when we take the bet, call, call line.

Surf