Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Choose your seat (complex)

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I feel this says something about your definition of decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically a general discussion on seat selection based on no more than a few brief descriptions on player types, one only statisical over a miniscule sample, and others pretty vague phrases that we impregnate with our own expansive views on what those brief phrases might mean overall.

It can be a totally worthless thread or a potentially interesting thread where posters raise and discuss the pros and cons of various aspects of the "impregnated reads" (for lack of a better phrase), and posters and lurkers alike can perhaps think about aspects of seat selection that they haven't really thought of much or have given short shrift to before. You seem to be doing your damndest to make it worthless. Bravo.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM

i gave this some thought and i think everyone is right. i want the 5 seat behind me. one thing i forgot to mention is that the 5 seat doesnt like to 3bet me preflop all that often. he calls alot but doesnt defend his SB much at all. i can open from the button and itll be me vs the worst player almost every time. the loose passive on my right wont take away from most of my button raises. i can also open from the CO against the guy who makes poor calldowns and the BT behind me wont 3bet me often at all.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5 on your immediate left, obviously.

And this is not close to complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you put tons of thought into this. Great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are being sarcastic, but I have put a lot of thought into my position at any given table. Since I have already put said thought into position, such a basic setup such as the one described by OP takes little time to answer.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy that you are so good at this. If you notice though, you have 3 decent players all vouching for different things. This might say something about the complexity of it. Maybe you could flesh out your thoughts on the matter. If not, there is no reason to even respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I feel this says something about your definition of decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

right. i suck, and you are godly.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:37 PM

You have to throw player 4 out, you don't have enough data. Frankly, that could be anyone one of us in such a game over 39 hands, seriously.

So, you want to be stealing the Tighty's blind and have the loose, aggro players on your right so, I'd take between 3 and 4. Seat 3 seems call station like and perdictable, don't worry about him, you can put call-station/predictable types anywhere.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM

I think between 3-4 would be better if seat 4 was an unknown, rather than what we have on him.

I am still a bit caught up on these small hand sample stats. I know 39 hands is not very many at all, and it is true that anyone of us could have his stats after 39 hands, but that does not mean that they mean nothing.

The fact that he has played more than 18 of his last 39 hands in our first observations of him means he is probably a bit looser than he should be. Our read could be completely off, and he might end up being a regular, or even tight player, but I think it is better to add probabilities to his stats, rather than just call them null and void. I don't know how to properly assess this probability, but I am sure it is possible somehow.

Just from my random speculation, I would guess that there is a only a 15% chance that his VPIP is under 20, 40% chance his VPIP is between 20-35, 25% chance his VPIP is 35-45, and 15% chance his VPIP is 45-55, and 5% chance his VPIP is over 55. These are just guesses, but I think there is a decent chance he is a loose player, even after only 39 hands.

If you had a player pegged at 85 VPIP after only 20 hands, would you think that meant anything?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM

another thing is that the weaktighty in the 5 seat never folds his blinds to me. if im in the SB hell call a raise in the BB 90%+ of the time. he also defends liberally when i open from any position. hes just very passive and predictable postflop.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 PM

I don't know how to interpret seat numbers. Is seat 2 to the right of seat 1?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another thing is that the weaktighty in the 5 seat never folds his blinds to me. if im in the SB hell call a raise in the BB 90%+ of the time. he also defends liberally when i open from any position. hes just very passive and predictable postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I like being on the button w/position when he is in the BB even more, don't you?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I like being on the button w/position when he is in the BB even more, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer being on the button w/position when we have someone who defends their blinds less, and isn't as good a player. He may be weak/tight, but TStone said he is probably a winning player, and therefore less prone to make mistakes. Also, the fact that he defends liberally is not a good thing if I am the one doing the stealing.

Edit: I realize I am advocating a position where I will be stealing against him from the SB when he is BB, but we still have great stealing potential when we are on the button.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that he defends liberally is not a good thing if I am the one doing the stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to explain this further because I feel 100% opposite when I have position here.