Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Many things i\'m confused about NLHE 6max

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever open limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of these, it depends. I was in a game last n ight where any hand I had EP I was going to play I limped. Why? There was a near maniac behind me. I limpraised any PP higher than 10 with great results. People love overcalling a maniac with marginal holding and I picked up tons of dead money.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) do you ever open limp - yes, small pocket pairs only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd argue with this one a bit. Open limping with small pairs is generally a good idea (except on the button or co where I'll often raise), but I like open limping with suited connectors too.

The best situation for a small pair or suited connector is to be in position vs. a preflop raiser, hoping to take down a big pot by making a set, straight or flush. However the definition of "in position" changes when there's a preflop raiser, the button can still be a powerful position, but oftentimes one to the right of the raiser is the best spot, as the majority of the time the action will be checked to him, and he will bet - leaving you the last to act on the flop (which is generally critical in raised pots, much moreso in multi-way raised pots).

So basically I'll open limp any hand that I'd like to get raised with (suited connectors and small-medium pairs, possibly big pairs in very aggressive games), and hope to create a multi-way pot where I hold the best (or near best) position the majority of the time.

Obviously the chances of getting raised diminsh the later position you're in, so often if I get a small pair or suited connector on the button or CO I'll just raise it myself a decent percent of the time depending on the table dynamics (sometimes crazy tables require tightening up and playing a bit more passive imo).
Old 12-09-2005, 04:14 PM

I would refrain from raising 44-88 for the following reason.
When you raise most players in SS will give you credit for two high cards, high pair etcetera. This is an issue when you start raising hands that you are basically playing for set value. I started doing this some a while ago and stopped because i found that i got paid off less than if i just limped.

Same thing i used to like a minraise or 3xBB raise if i was on button w/ any PP and there were limpers but i find that it just telegraphs your hand and kept me from getting paid off. Since, calling raises and then playing under flops and sets has been much more deceptive and profitable.

Just my 2 cents, don't know what everyone else thinks
Edit: The lost EV from not raising and building a pot pf is made up for by having a more disguised hand and being in position postflop.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At button, I always open raise 88. I might open fold 22 though. And I limp alot if the table is bad.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you raise most players in SS will give you credit for two high cards, high pair etcetera. This is an issue when you start raising hands that you are basically playing for set value. I started doing this some a while ago and stopped because i found that i got paid off less than if i just limped.

Same thing i used to like a minraise or 3xBB raise if i was on button w/ any PP and there were limpers but i find that it just telegraphs your hand and kept me from getting paid off. Since, calling raises and then playing under flops and sets has been much more deceptive and profitable.

Just my 2 cents, don't know what everyone else thinks
Edit: The lost EV from not raising and building a pot pf is made up for by having a more disguised hand and being in position postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said you had to play 44-88 only for set value shorthanded?

Also, at higher limits, if you're only raising 99+ UTG, you're really hurting your Shania. By adding just a few hands at the bottom end of the spectrum (66-88), you're going to make it much harder for an opponent to play correctly against you. Often, you'll be able to take down the pot on the flop with a continuation bet because your opponent will read you for stronger than you are. It will also help you get more action from your premiums if you're opening with just a bit more early.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM

At button, I always open raise 88.

Who the hell wouldnt?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM

i think were all talking about utg raising standards