Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Live 5-150 hand, rivered flush against a tricky agro

Live 5-150 spread limit game. Villian is a smart thinking player. He is pretty agro, I have seen him raise big with air and the nuts. He has about $800 behind. I have been playing tight and agro. I haven't been playing many hands and haven't shown down any hands while the villian has been at the table. I have not been in a pot with the villian, but the table is giving me a lot of respect and he has noticed it. The game has been playing tight/passive to LP to LAG.

PF I am the BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and it is a limped family pot (rare, normally there is a raise). Villian is in CO.

Flop: ($45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], it checks around.

Turn: ($45) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], it checks around. I see the villian before his action grab a stack and cut out $45 and I "arrange" my stacks for a $100 raise, he sees this and checks.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I see villian is ready to bet this and plan a CR and it checks to the villian, he leads for $40, folds to me, I RR to $150, folds back to villian who RR to $300.

From watching the villian I have somewhat picked up a tell when his is strong and sure enough he is showing that tell. Based on the limited action I can not reasonably put him on a hand range. I know he feels strong, but does he have the flush, str8 or maybe two pair, I am sure he does not have top pair or top two.

CRF?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Live 5-150 hand, rivered flush against a tricky agro

ummm call? unless hes real fishy, hes not calling another raise with anything less than MAYBE top straight
Old 12-05-2005, 03:40 AM

I don't see why you would raise the river. Just call it.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the limited action I can not reasonably put him on a hand range. I know he feels strong, but does he have the flush, str8 or maybe two pair, I am sure he does not have top pair or top two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can...

It should be pretty clear by the action that he doesn't have two pair. Evidence is mounting: If he had a T, he would have bet the flop. If he had two pair on the turn, he would have bet regardless if you were threatening to check-raise or not. The only semi-reasonable hand that rivers two pair is K8. In addition no thinking sane player with any two pair hand will give you this much action on the river.

It's pretty simple: He has a QJ for a straight, or he made a diamond flush too. I think even the straight has to respect 3 diamonds on board and will just call your river check-raise, so I'm going on the assumption he has a flush, but keep in mind you have a fairly strong flush, one that beats many of his possibilities.

Actually it's kind of moot. You're given 495:150 pot odds. You have to call here, but you cannot re-raise if that's what you're thinking. Be thankful this isn't no-limit where a push by him will force you to make a real decision.

Garland
Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can...

It should be pretty clear by the action that he doesn't have two pair. Evidence is mounting: If he had a T, he would have bet the flop. If he had two pair on the turn, he would have bet regardless if you were threatening to check-raise or not. The only semi-reasonable hand that rivers two pair is K8. In addition no thinking sane player with any two pair hand will give you this much action on the river.

It's pretty simple: He has a QJ for a straight, or he made a diamond flush too. I think even the straight has to respect 3 diamonds on board and will just call your river check-raise, so I'm going on the assumption he has a flush, but keep in mind you have a fairly strong flush, one that beats many of his possibilities.

Actually it's kind of moot. You're given 495:150 pot odds. You have to call here, but you cannot re-raise if that's what you're thinking. Be thankful this isn't no-limit where a push by him will force you to make a real decision.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes me unsure of his range is his past action in a similar situation where he raised like this with air. He RR a river HU and was RR and insta mucked. I also seen him make a river RR and as soon as the other player called he insta mucked.

I agree if he is being straight forward and not making a move then he only has two hands the straight or a flush. If he has the flush his range is pretty wide and I am likely ahead.

I am thinking a raise is the line here. There is a fair amount of value in not showning down my hand. I have been running over the table when I have been in a hand and I have been able to pickup several pots with air as a result. The 9 high flush would cut into that image, even though it shouldn't it would.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($45) A, it checks around. I see the villian before his action grab a stack and cut out $45 and I "arrange" my stacks for a $100 raise, he sees this and checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That move actually works?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($45) A, it checks around. I see the villian before his action grab a stack and cut out $45 and I "arrange" my stacks for a $100 raise, he sees this and checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That move actually works?

[/ QUOTE ]

We were watching each other quite a bit. He was the best player at the table, I am sure he seen me as the same. We were also the two largest stacks at the table, therefore we paid attention...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking a raise is the line here. T

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't. If he has air, he's just going to muck the the re-raise and the value you get is to not showdown your hand. Not totally insignificant, but still that doesn't compensate for the times he's going to re-raise you and you have to call, and that is with any flush that beats you except perhaps J-high. I still don't think your hand is strong enough to pump another raise...

Garland
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM

Just call the reraise on the river. For some of the reasons already mentioned, re-raising seems futile. You are not going to be called by any two pair hand and almost certainly not call by any str8. The only range of hands your beating here is a smaller flush which is possible but Villain probably doesnt have smaller flush enough times to make a push or big reraise +EV.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 PM

wait, so he's capable of bluff-raising the river?

soooooo.....WHY do you want to raise again? you realize he'll fold his bluffs (cant bluff-call can ya) and call with stuff that beats you