Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM

Default vitamin supplement

i just read zeejustin's blog and said to myself "hmm maybe i should start taking a vitamin supplement".

any recommendations?

edit: wow, there's a huge thread on this. i planned on making this post first, then saw gigantic thread
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: vitamin supplement

multivitamin/mineral with rdas for B+C vitamins in the 100's or 1000's. Chelated minerals (better absorbed), and preferably timed release.

You'll feel more energetic in days - especially if you're exercising.

PS. If your pissing bright yellow after you start, that's good. It's the B vitamins, and you're getting plenty!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Someone should let me know if there is a reason the book I'm about to recommend sucks. Because if it does, I really need to know.

"Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible" is a fairly comprehensive source for information about supplements. I've found it very useful over the last few years. As far as I know, this is the latest edition.

Link
Old 12-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Go to Whole Foods and get what is called a "whole food suppliment". It's not Whole Foods brand, but rather crams the nutrition of tons of veggies, fish, and other important foods into these pills, hence a 'whole food' suppliment.

I have bought 2 different kinds, but my favorite is EarthSource Multi Nutrient. When you see how much great stuff they pack in there I promise you won't want anything else.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Whole Foods and get what is called a "whole food suppliment". It's not Whole Foods brand, but rather crams the nutrition of tons of veggies, fish, and other important foods into these pills, hence a 'whole food' suppliment.

I have bought 2 different kinds, but my favorite is EarthSource Multi Nutrient. When you see how much great stuff they pack in there I promise you won't want anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Whole Foods is always overpriced. Secondly, big multis often aren't the way to go. They usually contain a few things that you don't want. It's tough to find multis that have everything you are looking for.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Multi-Nutrient, not Multi-Vitamin.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:40 PM

I used to take ones called KWEST or similar, they were fantastic, and fit all the criteria. I dunno if they are available in the US, or even if they are around any more. Big-ass white plastic pill-jars, no box, if that helps.

They honk like yeast when you open them.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multi-Nutrient, not Multi-Vitamin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by what I said. Multis in either form are often not the best way to go. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a good one, but I have yet to find a solid multi at Whole Foods.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multis in either form are often not the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Much cheaper and more convenient than separate ones, and usually created to not inhibit digestion of each other etc.

Seriously, why not? Never heard a reason they were not the best way to go before. (PS. I wouldn't mix vitamins/minerals with extras like ginseng or whatever though - in a single pill I mean - best keep the 'alternative' stuff separate IMHO).
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Whole Foods is always overpriced. Secondly, big multis often aren't the way to go. They usually contain a few things that you don't want. It's tough to find multis that have everything you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very tough to find the right multi. Especially since man vitamins are water soluble (B and C), you need to make sure you get them throughout the entire day, because your body will piss out what you don't need. I am vegan (well actually for personally reasons that I don't want to get into here, I have had to add a little dairy), but I take a multi that is taken twice a day, vitamin b, and spirulina (pills). The B (especially 6 and 12) are very tought to get from non meat sources and since it is tough to take too much since it is water soluble. The thing to be wary about is Iron and A. You can get too much of those. It is best to buy vitamins (especially males) with low amounts of them and then get them from food sources. I also take Flax Seed Oil, because of the Omega 3s, which are almost impossible to get on a vegan diet.

Other than the health benefits of B-12 and Omega3's, there is the mental benefits as well. Some people take B-12 shots for depression and Omega3's are used among people with bipolar disorder (mainly BP 2, since it is not as severe).

craig