Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: KK faces 2 on what i think is a semi-blank board

I agree that 3betting the flop is standard. I agree that, if you do hold trips, calling the flop 3bet and donking/checkraising the turn is the way to go here. I think his cap stinks, precisely because I think it slows many players down.

I think all this weirdness is why I do feel the need to call down.

One thing, though, I think a lot of us are getting too hung up on the preflop cold-call. A lot of loose players see suited connectors/speculative hands in the BB and decide they're seeing the flop come hell or high water. Absent reads, I guess I put a lot more emphasis on my opponent's postflop actions than their preflop actions, maybe that's my problem.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like his play. Once he has SB trapped and putting in money I'd cap this flop as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the flop 3bet and checkraising the turn has the potential to trab SB for two BB on the turn. If he's on a heart draw (which looks likely) I think this is the better play.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:grunch: I would fold the flop, not raise. But since you raised, I would call the cap and pray for a K to fall. If the turn isn't a K, I would probably fold.

This might be weak, but BB will have a 7 most of the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB could have been raising the flop with a smaller pocket pair. A lot of players like to slow play trips on the flop and wait for the turn to spring a raise.

So 3-betting the flop with possibly the best hand made sense. BB capping the flop then strongly suggested that he had a 7.

Calling the flop cap was correct due to the large pot odds that the OP was receiving. However the question then became whether it would be worth calling an unimproved hand to the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing, though, I think a lot of us are getting too hung up on the preflop cold-call. A lot of loose players see suited connectors/speculative hands in the BB and decide they're seeing the flop come hell or high water. Absent reads, I guess I put a lot more emphasis on my opponent's postflop actions than their preflop actions, maybe that's my problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop 3bet and checkraising the turn has the potential to trab SB for two BB on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, on the one hand, Villan is loose (read "bad") enough to call 2 preflop with a suited 7, but should be disciplined (read "good") enough to put a play on once he flops trips?

As for the bit about the heart draw, weren't you sure enough a couple of posts ago that he was holding a 7 to fold to his turn bet? If he caps the flop with a heart draw, he's sure as hell going to bet it again on the turn.