Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-08-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: $525: Reraising or Folding with ATo?

[ QUOTE ]
Why is folding correct? I'm not sure if I necessarily agree
with you. This was a turbo tournament. The blinds were about to increase. Does the villian really need to have a big hand to push with UTG? AT is certainly not a premium hand, even by any stretch of the imagination, but against the range of hands I think he is willing to push with I believe I come out ahead. If I do reraise and push what are the chances of either one of the blinds finding a hand?
From my perspective I don't think this is so black and white.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you're *ahead* of the range of an 8-handed UTG raise here at a tight $500 table, despite the responses you've gotten from respected posters? If so, there's nothing more for anyone to say.

[ QUOTE ]

As far as avoiding a SNG because of one player, I think that's a bunch of hogwash. He might be a great player, I
have no idea and I certainly didn't find out last night, but there still are seven other players besides Zee.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

But only three finish ITM. Zee takes one of those slots 40% of the time. How do you like your chances now?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:20 PM

I haven't played turbos, but surely you've played enough 215s to know that nobody is pushing from UTG 8 handed with anything you want to see (unless maybe it's 77/88/99 for a coin flip) and villain just isn't that shortstacked yet, he's far more likely to push with crud from the SB in two hands.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

who would you say are the other two? giga. and?

[/ QUOTE ]

The JEFFSTER. I normally don't play $500s because it's too easy to beat good players. I like challenging myself against the worst players in the world instead.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Results

I push reraised and both blinds folded. UTG had Q9s and Ace
high was the best hand.

I respectfully disagree that this an automatic fold. At this
level of play I truely believed that there was a high likelyhood that UTG was making a move. I know if I were him
I would be pushing with plenty of suboptimal hands. A friend of mine watching my play thought I had lost my mind, but I feel like my play was very reasonable.

I may also be slightly biased from previous tournaments. I
open pushed on the bubble in a big live MTT at the Commerce
with 28 players left and 27 being played and I was put all
in and eliminated by AT.

I did, by the way, win the event. I felt at the time that
this was going to be the key hand for me. I was relatively
shortstacked and I needed to double up and this, although risky, seemed liked an opportunity for me to get chips where
I might very well be the favorite.

Perhaps I'm results oriented, but better lucky maybe, than good.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2005, 10:39 PM

A random player theoretically finishes ITM 30% of the time.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 PM

Not on 'Stars..
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Results

Wow, I sit corrected; never has my flabber been so gasted.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
high was the best hand.

level of play I truely believed that there was a high likelyhood that UTG was making a move. I know if I were him
I would be pushing with plenty of suboptimal hands. A friend of mine watching my play thought I had lost my mind, but I feel like my play was very reasonable.

in and eliminated by AT.

shortstacked and I needed to double up and this, although risky, seemed liked an opportunity for me to get chips where

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know utg to be a horrible horrible player (which he ends up being), this is not a call. Your call is quite bad, his push is horrendous.

EDIT: Okay, I look like a jackass, but I'm actually going to leave my original reply in there and follow it up by saying it is quite wrong. With reasonable ranges this guys UTG push is actually +EV... ? Surprised the hell out of me. Obviously. So if this guy is pushing a fair amount (and it does have to be a pretty decent-sized range, but not crazy), this can actually become a call. Wow. Very surprised, and I think alot of people will be too.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 AM

given that the blinds are about to go up to 200/400, i don't think the push or call are as bad as everyone seems to think.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
high was the best hand.

in and eliminated by AT.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know utg to be a horrible horrible player (which he ends up being), this is not a call. Your call is quite bad, his push is horrendous.

EDIT: Okay, I look like a jackass, but I'm actually going to leave my original reply in there and follow it up by saying it is quite wrong. With reasonable ranges this guys UTG push is actually +EV... ? Surprised the hell out of me. Obviously. So if this guy is pushing a fair amount (and it does have to be a pretty decent-sized range, but not crazy), this can actually become a call. Wow. Very surprised, and I think alot of people will be too.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you run this through SNGPT it really depends a lot on what UTG's range is. At 22+,A2s+,A3o+,KTs+,KJo+,QJs - calling becomes positive 0.7%.

The other thing you have to be concerned about if you push is what if the one of the blinds wakes up with a hand?

UTG probably figured with the table so tight he might get some respect pushing from that position. Also with the blinds going up he felt like he needed to move sooner rather than later.

NH & GG