Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: NYTimes Editorial

[ QUOTE ]
She said the boys are easy to beat and are a bunch of fish because they assume a girl doesn't know how to play and they think she just got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason losing poker players always think the winner, "just got lucky", it has nothing to do with her being female.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM

That's a good letter.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 PM

Not Jewish, but if my son wanted a poker party for a bar mitzvah, I'd tell him, "Go master 7-Stud Hi/Lo first. Then we'll talk."

Of course, I don't have a son, either...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not Jewish, but if my son wanted a poker party for a bar mitzvah, I'd tell him, "Go master 7-Stud Hi/Lo first. Then we'll talk."

Of course, I don't have a son, either...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not Jewish, I don't think you have to worry about your son wanting poker at his bar mitzah.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can play up youth gambling as a positive experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I did.

I think your parallel with the dangers of a credit card are apt. You don't give an irresponsible, immature youth a credit card because while he could learn how to be responsible as a result of making small mistakes and learning from them, he might also figuratively hang himself. Poker or other gambling games have the same dangers.

I'd permit my child to be involved in gambling according to the law, and my judgment of his level of maturity and to the extent that they could demonstrate to me that they could handle the responsibility, which is significant. This is really no different from good parenting in general. For example, letting your daughter date is necessary for her growth and maturity, but you are also flirting with major danger of lives ruined at the same time. You have to do your best to teach your kids how to handle their responsibilities and make mature decisions. I don't believe a blanket prohibition of poker playing is a good way to do that any more than a blanket prohibition of teenage dating would be.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Eastbay - well thought out response and interesting topic.

I think though, it's possible you are underestimating the addictive, "gambley" nature of poker. For a vast majority of poker players, poker = blackjack, or craps, or roulette. This is why I don't think it's unfair to lump poker in with these other gambling pursuits, and to measure the downsides of poker in that light.

Though I agree with you that the author was far too heavy-handed in his assessment of the ills of poker.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

pretty funny. thanks for posting
Old 11-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She said the boys are easy to beat and are a bunch of fish because they assume a girl doesn't know how to play and they think she just got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason losing poker players always think the winner, "just got lucky", it has nothing to do with her being female.

[/ QUOTE ]

the just got lucky belief is what supports us. don't knock it.