Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:14 AM

Default TT overpair with open ender on the turn

Pretty unremarkable 3/2/2 NL game, a little loose with some big re-raising action here and there. I've got about 300 in front of me and so does villian.

I raise TT to 10 from MP. I get two callers from the blinds.

Flop comes 7 8 2 rainbow. I bet out 15, looking to create a moderate raise that I can pop back at. I get called from the BB.

Turn brings a 9. I bet out 40 and get raised 100 more. 100 more?

I read something like JJ, or possibly something weaker like A8.

I re-raise all-in.

eastbay
Old 11-04-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: TT overpair with open ender on the turn

meh, you're probably beat here, but you could get him to lay down a better hand like JJ or QQ, but it doesnt look like thats what he has. It's also possible you will pick off a bluff or semi bluff.

Since your callers are in the blinds, I assume you have position in this hand unless you messed up in the describing, in which case you almost have to check behind on the turn to take a free card when you pick up an open ended straight draw. When you check behind, you get a free card to your draw, and you induce villain to bluff with a missed draw of his own. Plus, if he checks to you on the river again and you think you are ahead, you can still value bet, and he might call you with a hand like A8 after you showed weakness on the turn. Yea, you give a free card to overcards, but one overcard makes you a straight, while the other three shouldn't bother you all that much.

When villain called on the flop, he told you he had a draw or a pair, so he only has one overcard to your tens at most, that is, of course, unless you think he's the type of player to call you with a missed AK or AQ on this flop, in which case, I'm be more inclined to bet.

On the other hand, if the turn didn't give you a backdoor draw...say it comes 5 or a J or something, you should bet, because when you are raised, you can safely fold you know your tens are no good (unless you have a read that the player will do this with less) and you only have 0-2 outs to improve.