Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 PM

Default 5-10--play for the straight flush?

the three players in the hand all have a little over a thousand each.

Qh Ts Th 8h. I open limp in ep. a limper behind on the button and both blinds. table is close to full, maybe 8 players.

3h 6d 9h. I lead $40, button drops, and both blinds stay.

7h. checked to me. background--maybe I'm playing a little nervous, being pretty new to this limit. I've bought in for 60bb on two tables and doubled on both.

I can't put much more money in with Q-high--probably not enough to make a showdown should that be necessary. My first instinct is to bet close to pot size and put no more money in. But then with 2 outs to the straight flush, I decide to check behind and take a shot a breaking the ace-high. is that a bad plan due to the stacks not being all that deep? or is it bad because I'd never get more than a pot sized bet and raise out of him?

river is Jc. sb leads the pot and we both fold.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: 5-10--play for the straight flush?

Easy check behind.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a question about this hand at a lower limit table with bad players...

I have been playing at $25 tables (PLO and PLO8). I have seen players bet aggressive with things like an 8 high flush AND winning.

So I'm reading this hand and thinking this would play out completely differently at a $25 table.

His Queen High flush very likely is the best hand. But by checking the turn, it tells everyone that you don't have the nuts. Now, a player with merely a straight could be betting knowing that a good player will fold his low flush.

I'm just not sure how you adjust your game when you're playing against bad players. Because again... at the low tables, people are betting their straights aggressively on a monotone board... On a paired board, people are betting 2 pair. Obviously if you have the nuts against these individuals, you will get paid off. But in the meantime, it seems a lot of money is being given away to people who bet with very mediocre hands.

So for the above hand... at a table with a bunch of total donks... does one play this hand differently?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His Queen High flush very likely is the best hand. But by checking the turn, it tells everyone that you don't have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is going to put him on the nuts, anyway. The problem is that by semibluffing the flop, he is representing the nut hand, 99xx. Betting the turn is inconsistent with his flop play, and he is likely to get called down. You are right that Q high flush may be the best hand, but what is your plan if he gets called by what may very well be an inferior flush? Finally, what sort of hand do you think the other players called his flop bet with? I wouldn't be surprised if 1 player had the A-high and the other had the K-high flush draw. The flop was otherwise blank.