Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Study Habits

[ QUOTE ]
It's a pharmaceutical drug for ADD or ADHD. They feed little kids this stuff by the bucketfulls nowadays.

And yes- there is a huge load on college age kids nowadays. Many have to work full-time jobs to pay for the school they barely have time for. Also, most scholarships require you to keep a certain (high) GPA. So yea, theres a lot to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]
... As it always has been, or has it changed so much in the 10 years since I've been in College? I guess it depends on the school and the person's ability to deal with school related stress, but I still don't see why someone without any kind of mental disfunction should take this kind of drug.

Also, why do you need to be discrete about it? Is it illegal to take without doctor's approval? If so, more the reason why you should not casually take it.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Look, the guy asked, and I gave him an answer.

To each their own. I personally used it and it helped me greatly to crack down and do the stuff I needed to do when I felt scatterbrained. That is what this helps a person to do. I'm just answering OP's question.

I figured it would have been big with the poker crowd anyway.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Is there any sort of online test to see if I actually need adderall? I'm not convinced I need it, and have no reason to be. Thanks for the advice, but the drugs seem unnecessary.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any sort of online test to see if I actually need adderall? I'm not convinced I need it, and have no reason to be. Thanks for the advice, but the drugs seem unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone else mentioned its one of the drugs prescribed for ADD/ADHD.. You can start your research, here...
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/adhd.cfm
Old 10-08-2005, 03:57 AM

Don't go on the computer unless you absolutely have to. They are amazingly efficient devices: for wasting time. I recently graduated and I tried to only go on the computer if I had a particular task to do. There isn't much else to do to waste time on campus if you aren't surfing the net, so avoid the time wasters.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:29 AM

I actually went to Barnes and Noble and read a book on how to stop procrastinating. Don't get it, it doesn't work.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't go on the computer unless you absolutely have to. They are amazingly efficient devices: for wasting time. I recently graduated and I tried to only go on the computer if I had a particular task to do. There isn't much else to do to waste time on campus if you aren't surfing the net, so avoid the time wasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think argus is right. whenever you are on the computer you are obviously in danger. so try to avoid those situations. probably a timetable also helps.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I experience the same problem as OP at work. Unfortunately, my job requires me to be on the computer for 8 hours every day. I've also taken 3 out of 4 years of a software engineering program, where most if not all of my work requires a computer.

I can agree with your suggestion in that I've always been more efficient when not using the computer, and I typically try to do some work by hand every day, whether or not it is necessary.

I think the main problem here is motivation. I've been having this problem at the office for about a month now, where I run away from problems instead of attacking them head on. You need to find a way to get genuinely motivated about your work. Self-respect probably won't be enough. Maybe grades, references, money, being better than people, etc. I don't know enough about your personality and experiences to guide you further, but finding a reason to be motivated is the key. Ask a significant person in your life for help, like a girl or boyfriend, or your parents, or a teacher that you trust. Choose somebody you see/speak to often.