Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Default I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content)

I didn't think it could be done, but I've finally run into a 300BB downswing. Currently at -325 at the 20/40 limit. 3 days, 8K hands. Losing at a rate of 4.3 per 100. I don't know what is wrong. Some tilt is involved (without a doubt). Some excessively agro play. Some reluctance to fold. Additionally, 5 outers have been destroying me on the river. I've only had 2 other big downswings and both of those were 250. One was my intro to 15/30, the other was when other [censored] in my life was not going well. There is no external cause this time. In fact, the loss isn't even having that great an effect on me, but it frustrates me. You know the feeling, it feels like it is impossible to win a hand. I had a guy go from HU AI on a 8642 board - me with TT he with 76, to him having about $500 of my money. I had another guy HU him in the BB with 76s, me in MP with AJ on a A92r board. He calls down to hit a flush and chk/rz me on a jack river. Also had a guy who flops TPTK when I flop trips - 3way capped every street and he catches runner runner boat (getting to 2pair first). Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table, however, that actually worked out well. Frustrating 3 days. Gonna go play live, see if that changes things.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content)

[ QUOTE ]
Some tilt is involved (without a doubt). Some excessively agro play. Some reluctance to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a hand I played against you:

Loose, passive player limps in MP and I complete the small blind with Q8s. You raise in the BB. MP calls, I call.

Flop comes K-Q-T rainbow and I have a 3-flush. I check, you bet, MP calls, I call.

Turn is a T. I check, you bet, MP calls, I fold. MP has ~2 BBs left.

River is a 5. You bet, MP raises all-in and you call. You showed A5o and lost to AT.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 PM

They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each day fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe
Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Just be happy it only took you 8k hands.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each day fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, when I do something this blatantly tilt-induced, I take a break for the rest of the day.. or at least a couple hours.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table, however, that actually worked out well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure hope you weren't 12-tabling! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though, you have to take a break. Don't play any poker for a few days. And think about ways to make sure that what you described above never happens again. Because for every moment of tilt that you actually remember, there are going to be another 10 that you don't even know about.

Edit: I should mention that I do sympathize with your downswing. These kind of things are always depressing.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Don't let it get you down man. Definetly take a bit of a break, and cool off. These things happen, even to the best of us.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:54 PM

I know that feeling, and i experienced it this summer. In all seriousness, I dont think it would hurt at all to take a week away from the game to clear your head. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and it can really be refreshing to come back to a clean slate. If this has made you tilt, I really highly reccomend taking an extended break, because if you're not playing close to your best game at all times, you need to consider why you aren't, and taking a break to re-think things and forget about the last couple of days or weeks can really help. I called it a wall, and call it whatever you want, but I dont think there's much you can do except ride it out. Variance can be a mother.

Good Luck and stay even tempered.

Tex
Old 10-05-2005, 05:54 PM

I personally have found playing live helps a lot.

Only one table, much more relaxed, terrible players, etc.