Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Default When unsure, you should..?

Was playing a typical 10/20 weak passive fish today. He limped in, I raised AKo everyone folded. Flop is QQJ. Check I bet, he calls. Turn is a 9, he bets. At this point I sit and think for a while becuase I have NFC what this guy has and I haven't seen him bluff before. After my timer nears 10 I raise.

Wrong line?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: When unsure, you should..?

Why would you raise? Unless he's more thinking than you give him credit for, he won't lay down any piece of this flop. If he's bluffing, you want him to keep betting. So it's a toss between calling and folding. I think you'll see a weak jack or nine, or even a straight or q here most of the time, lower PPs, and very rarely a weak ace or king high. I think this is a fairly easy fold without any other info.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Why raise? First off, I didn't have a clue what I should do here. I felt it would be very weaksauce to call or fold. I also thought he might have a small-mid PP that a raise might be able to fold. I don't see any play beside fold/raise being any good & I prefer to be more LAG than TAG.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise? First off, I didn't have a clue what I should do here. I felt it would be very weaksauce to call or fold. I also thought he might have a small-mid PP that a raise might be able to fold. I don't see any play beside fold/raise being any good & I prefer to be more LAG than TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would raise for two reasons, for value or as a bluff. If this guy is a typical weak player, he's calling down with anything you want him to fold. So you're not bluffing him off. C/cing through the river costs the same as raising the turn, and if you have him beat he's probably drawing very thin and might fold to a raise, but make another stab at the pot on the river. I just don't think you have many holdings beat here.

A10 and AK are the only nonpair hands you're likely to beat, and if the guy is donking the turn on this board with a lower PP, he probably isn't capable of folding it. You're also very likely reverse dominated or drawing thin (to a 10) or dead. Save your money(?)
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 AM

I'd call, and fold the river. Excess aggression isn't this guys problem... he's weak, so we have to stop and think when he pulls a donk like this. It's likely a mediocre pair that he wont be capable of folding, but it will sometimes be a monster and rarely be a bluff.

I used to ascribe to the "when in doubt, raise" philosophy. It's gotten me into lots of trouble and it's since changed to "when in doubt, put him on a reasonable hand range for his player type and act accordingly" which is more difficult and time-consuming but ultimately more effective.

Surf
Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 AM

I raised & he folded.