Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is she hot?
hell yeah, she's so damn hot! 5 20.00%
God no! 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Question for the Non-Christians

[ QUOTE ]
If you became convinced the resurrection actually took place, would you become a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly not:

Knowing that someone recovered for a short while from what was considered death a couple of millennia ago would convince me of nothing more than the fact itself.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you became convinced the resurrection actually took place, would you become a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly not:

Knowing that someone recovered for a short while from what was considered death a couple of millennia ago would convince me of nothing more than the fact itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a different question you answered. I definitely wouldn't become a Christian under any circumstances.

Mack
Old 09-03-2005, 06:58 PM

Here is what was considered death a couple of millennia ago.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly not:

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a different question you answered. I definitely wouldn't become a Christian under any circumstances.
Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit to not really understanding the original question. I do not believe it would be possible to prove (whatever that means) the details of anything that happened 2000 years ago, so the question is purely academic.

However:

If you create a model where the resurrection (whatever that means), is taken as a basic assumption then I do not believe you can conclude much more than the resurrection itself. Which is the point I was trying to make.

Christianity has a lot more to it than the history of Jesus Christ, like God, Holy sprit, life after death, Genesis, angels the devil etc. For a model to encompass the whole of Christianity you should expect to make further assumptions than those specific to the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Hence unless you are very tricky about defining what “the resurrection” means, you cannot deduce Christianity logically from the resurrection.

Still when has logic ever stopped anyone believing what the want to believe.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:16 AM

"Christianity has a lot more to it than the history of Jesus Christ, like God, Holy sprit, life after death, Genesis, angels the devil etc. For a model to encompass the whole of Christianity you should expect to make further assumptions than those specific to the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Christianity relies on the belief that Jesus rose from the dead. If the resurrection is untrue, Christianity falls apart. There is no Christianity without the resurrection.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Christianity has a lot more to it than the history of Jesus Christ, like God, Holy sprit, life after death, Genesis, angels the devil etc. For a model to encompass the whole of Christianity you should expect to make further assumptions than those specific to the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Christianity relies on the belief that Jesus rose from the dead. If the resurrection is untrue, Christianity falls apart. There is no Christianity without the resurrection.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there could be resurrection without christianity.

chez
Old 09-04-2005, 01:25 AM

Even assuming the Christian god exists and resurrected Jesus Christ, I wouldn't become Christian. Just because a powerful being exists doesn't mean I should worship it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 AM

I answered yes but wish to clarify. I would have to be convinced that the following two events happened:

1. Jesus (fully) died and was dead for a number of days, or at the very least several hours, in other words well after medical recovery would be possible.
2. Jesus then via God or whatever the story is rose from the dead state mentioned in step 1.

As it is I have a huge number of problems with the religion in general. I think a person being fully dead and authentically (not through some sort of weekend and bernies type thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] rising from the dead would indicate something beyond normal is going on and that Christianity or something in its superset is most likely correct.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 AM

If I became convinced that resurrection took place I would instantly check myself into a mental institution.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:41 AM

ok this is obviously hypothetical.

imagine your friends with dr. emmit brown and instead of taking the Delorean back to 1955 instead you cruise to 33 AD and watch Jesus die and then rise, etc etc etc. (there was a back to the future marathon on today [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

That is what the OP meant, imo. And, if that was the case, then of course I would become a Christian. However, if I was to go back there as an observer I know I'd just see some normal dude get his [censored] ass kicked.