Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Pocket Tens vs. Dan H. at Legends

[ QUOTE ]
I'm limping with the intention of raising all-in somewhat frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best play. That said, I probably fold this flop.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:39 PM

With almost a minimum reraise of an UTG raise, Harrington is clearly representing a big pair. I have seen some LAG types do that as a play to steal a pot in $100 online tournaments. While Harrington is very tight, he is probably capable of that sort of thing, given his reraise with 62o at the WSOP final table. Since you didn't flop a set, and an overcard flopped, unless you have a strong read, I would give him the pot.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Here's some more info. What's my image? I'm not sure how
to answer that unless someone at the table is reading this
and cares to answer. If I had to venture into this question
I would probably say that I'm opportunistic with a degree of
larcency, although I am probably a degree on the tight side. Secondly, how was Dan H. playing? He was playing very snuggish, much more so than I thought he would based
on reading both of his books. He raised multiple times
only to fold to a reraise. I thought based on what I saw
that he was capable of laying down a hand if he thought
he was beat.

Bruce
Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 PM

Hero pushes.

The miniraise could have been an isolation play with AK

Both players are near a critical point, and the pot is swollen. I think hands with Q's in them are unlikely for DH.

That leaves JJ,KK,AA and AK. TT is about 38% against this range. There's about 5K in the pot, you have 5K left, DH has bet 5K (you have to call all your chips if you do anything). So it looks like a fair bet against a former world champion... Good deal.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm limping with the intention of raising all-in somewhat frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the minimim hand that you'll limp re-raise all-in with? TT seems pretty low to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. Getting all of one's chips in with less than 50% confidence of having the best of it, it way too low for my tastes.

This also leads to another interesting question. What should one's confidence probability of having the best of it, typically be in order to get all chips in?

I realize this is not a black and white question, because there are things like reads, stack size, etc.

But how confident do people like to be of having the best of it before going all in?

Personally, if it is early in a tournament and I am understacked (covered) but not short stacked, then my confidence of having the best of it has to be at least in the 75%-90% range, if not almost absolutely certain.

By the way, for the OP Bruce: What was the outcome? What did you do? What did you find out about DH's hand?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He raised multiple times only to fold to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the sizes of the reraises relative to his stack?

Not that I'm anywhere near the player he is, but I like this kind of tactic for information gathering and testing players, especially early in the tournament.

How did they react to the raise? Did they show a tell when they reraised? Did they fold? How did the other players not in the hand react? Did they notice? Were they surprised?

IMHO, this is a very good "investment" tactic to set up one or more players for a opportunity to come in over the top with a very strong holding.

I use it a lot in online tournament play, in particular early in the tournament or when I have a dominant stack. I've found it to be very effective against the right player, not a dummy but not a wizard, just someone who knows enough to notice but is not smart enough to see the rest.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 AM

I wouldn't attribute his raising and folding to reraises as being some probing strategy. The reraises were proabably big. He isn't known as "Action Dan" for nothing.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:36 AM

I lead this flop, A check here looks like a PP lower than a Q. Id bet this flop with AK if you checked it to me.

If you're going to check here. I call the 20k and lead the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero pushes.

The miniraise could have been an isolation play with AK

Both players are near a critical point, and the pot is swollen. I think hands with Q's in them are unlikely for DH.

That leaves JJ,KK,AA and AK. TT is about 38% against this range. There's about 5K in the pot, you have 5K left, DH has bet 5K (you have to call all your chips if you do anything). So it looks like a fair bet against a former world champion... Good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Dan could have TT or 99 some of the time too.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead this flop, A check here looks like a PP lower than a Q. Id bet this flop with AK if you checked it to me.

If you're going to check here. I call the 20k and lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

A notoriously tight top professional is representing a big pair. Give him the pot.