Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: How do I not have this guys stack?

Personally, I "open"-raise PF in this late of position (even pretty early for that matter). Of course in hind-sight, he might push over the top PF, you fold, yadayadayada...you're not posting this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Given your PF line, this is a pefect opportunity (this flop) for you to throw out a weak probe/"block" looking bet....1/3-1/2 would probably do. He'll likely come over the top of you here, with a missed AK, overpair, underpair, etc....just reasserting his PF strength declaration. If/when this occurs, I think the flop is likely plenty big at this point for you push.

[Checking the will also provide a CB lead from him on most occasions, but if he did in fact whiff, he's either folding to your "check/raise", or folding to an unimproved turn lead on your part.]

If he simply calls your flop bet here...AND you hit the nuts on the turn, it's time to slow down and check the turn. Continuing from your weak representation on the flop, a "i give" on this turn MIGHT get him to try to take it down (although not likely here, because your proposed probe bet on the flop, might make this second 9 pretty scary).

If you get to the river without him biting on the turn, you MUST bet. There is no reason to believe he will take a stab now, having passed on what was already the 'scare' card. A value bet of 1/2 potish, might still get a call from an underpair, etc.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I "open"-raise PF in this late of position (even pretty early for that matter). Of course in hind-sight, he might push over the top PF, you fold, yadayadayada...you're not posting this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Given your PF line, this is a pefect opportunity (this flop) for you to throw out a weak probe/"block" looking bet....1/3-1/2 would probably do. He'll likely come over the top of you here, with a missed AK, overpair, underpair, etc....just reasserting his PF strength declaration. If/when this occurs, I think the flop is likely plenty big at this point for you push.

[Checking the will also provide a CB lead from him on most occasions, but if he did in fact whiff, he's either folding to your "check/raise", or folding to an unimproved turn lead on your part.]

If he simply calls your flop bet here...AND you hit the nuts on the turn, it's time to slow down and check the turn. Continuing from your weak representation on the flop, a "i give" on this turn MIGHT get him to try to take it down (although not likely here, because your proposed probe bet on the flop, might make this second 9 pretty scary).

If you get to the river without him biting on the turn, you MUST bet. There is no reason to believe he will take a stab now, having passed on what was already the 'scare' card. A value bet of 1/2 potish, might still get a call from an underpair, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually lead with a probe bet into PFR here, I usually bet the river here. For some reason I was convinced he missed the flop and was praying he would bluff. But everyone is right, of course.

On another note, who checks this turn and river with QQ? I dont think ive ever seen someone so weak-tight on a party sng [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 03:21 AM

you classify the guy as weak/tight and then say you were hoping to induce a bluff. do you see how this is wrong?

you should not make jj a standard limp. it is a raising hand that will be reraised when it is not the best hand.

you have absolutely no excuse for checking the river. this guy is obviously afraid of the paired 9 and will not bet. most people like to call. exploit that. he wasnt folding queens to turn and river bets. if he's weak/tight, why are you trying to c/r him on the turn? he'll probably fold a lot. just bet out more against these types of players.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you classify the guy as weak/tight and then say you were hoping to induce a bluff. do you see how this is wrong?

you should not make jj a standard limp. it is a raising hand that will be reraised when it is not the best hand.

you have absolutely no excuse for checking the river. this guy is obviously afraid of the paired 9 and will not bet. most people like to call. exploit that. he wasnt folding queens to turn and river bets. if he's weak/tight, why are you trying to c/r him on the turn? he'll probably fold a lot. just bet out more against these types of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

In answer to all your questions, I had not realized he was weak-tight up until this point. I misinterpreted his 75 flop bet as a weak continuation bet.

Anyway, you are right of course.