Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: AK misses multiway

I like this play against this player because a good percentage of the time the TAG is betting a draw here. Against a loose passive incapable of betting on a draw, I would peel.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:03 PM

What if you raise the TAG and clear the field and then that TAG 3-bets you. How much do you like your hand on the turn when it blanks and TAG bet out?

Now, what about all those times that TAG is making this play with a flush draw putting you on AJ, AQ, AK, KQ or somethign simimlar, knowing you would fold to a turn blank?

Or, even simpler, you raise TAG, clear the field and are head's up. The turn blanks and the TAG donk bets again. What now brown cow?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 PM

I've read some of the recent posts about how peeling/ folding might be a better play than the 'classic' raise for a free card/ bet turn and take a free showdown that I have used a lot in the past but am now starting to reconsider. This situation seems like a good one for the free card play however. The pot already has 9 SBs, so is large enough to make a play that gives you the best chance of winning it. True, the TAG might get tricky and three bet or donk the turn, and then I guess you have to revaluate. But as the pot is raised and four way, you probably have decent equity against the bettor, the raise to thin the field and hope to improve on the turn is IMO the way to go here.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you raise the TAG and clear the field and then that TAG 3-bets you. How much do you like your hand on the turn when it blanks and TAG bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my primary concern in this hand. I also think you can discount a draw a bit as he wouldn't really want to bet into the preflop raiser with a draw as the risk of knocking everyone out of the hand is too high.

Looking back, I think the multiway overcard raise has its spot, but would be better against a more passive aggressor.