Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games

Old 03-17-2003, 10:02 AM

Default 5-12 matchup thoughts

Just started the drawn-out process of way over-analyzing my office pool bracket. After penciling in round 1 W's for all the #1 seeds (the ONLY sure thing in the history of the tourney), I always look to the 5-12 matchups. Generally, I like to give the 12's half of these, but picking the right ones is the tough part.
The games are:
Wisconsin vs. Weber State
UConn vs. BYU
Miss State vs. Butler
ND vs. UWM

Right now, I'm leaning towards Weber State and UWM as being my #12 first-round "Cinderellas." I like Butler a lot, but they looked silly against UWM last week, and Miss State was an unfortunate draw for them.

Weber State should be a toss-up vs. Wisconsin in Washington. If you get any significant points with Weber State, take 'em.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: 5-12 matchup thoughts

If we're talking straight up here, I like UWM and BYU. For some reason I just don't like UConn this year, faltered a little late and BYU playing well. Plus, BYU MAY (I repeat, MAY) have more incentive since the NCAA Selection Committee not only had it so they'd play on a Sunday, but won't even switch it until they GET there, talk about lack of respect? I don't think that matters anyway, I thought they would win regardless of that, but that's icing on the cake. How about Cincinnati for an upset special over 'Zona?

Also, whats everyone's favorite scoring setup? I don't like how most pools, if you don't have the Champion correct, you basically can't win. I also hate how the first round and 2nd round are basically irrelevant in the scheme of things, it only starts to matter with the Sweet 16. Also, there's no incentive to pick upsets early, why should you pick a 13 over a 4 or something like that, when you could potentially get screwed by having that team make the Elite 8, or worse the Final 4.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 5-12 matchup thoughts

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] still, thefact remains, that fluke or not, 12's do well against 5's....i played dog on all 4..lol..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]