Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM

Default A9o on CO w/2 limpers- anybody play/raise this?

MP2 is a tad loose preflop- not horrible, but definitely passive. postflop, he'll let you know when he has a hand raising strong draw/straight combos. only seen preflop raises with AKs and KQo from LP. seems to not like raising early with questionable hands, but plays them any way: suited connectors (1 gappers) and overcards from any position.

MP3 is the reason i'm sticking around. he's a semi-LAG. bluffs like a retard, calls down with backdoor draws, plays any Ace/King, aggressive with flush draws. i won't semi-bluff him or bluff him completely as he'll pay off with anything, but i'll value bet him all day. all this is odd because his preflop raise range is pretty standard and plays position pretty well, so his limp here says A/Kx-crap kicker, small pockets, or suited connectors.

the rest of the table is tight, with very few cold calling from the players behind me (Button and the blinds). ~30-35% to a flop.

so like i said, Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop
folded to MP1, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, fold, <font color="blue">Hero...??</font>
Old 07-28-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: A9o on CO w/2 limpers- anybody play/raise this?

I fold it. I will isolate one bad player with this hand by bringing it in for a raise (if the blinds will fold). I don't try this with 1.5 bad players though.

I assume you meant mp1 and mp2 in yr reads, not mp2 and mp3. If only the guy you really want isolate is in the hand, then I could go for a raise with anything as low as QTo (or Q8s).

It seems you are thinking in the right direction -- this is mos def raise or fold. But the other limper makes it a fold IMO.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 PM

Raise it up with tightish blinds. I would raise anyway here but having tigher blinds does help somewhat with more marginal hands. Calling would be the next best option IMO unless you are at a tight/tough table in which you would obviously fold.

Brad
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM

I think reasonable people might disagree here on whether raising or folding is better, but calling with tight blinds? I might be missing something here. I thought of this as a [folding &gt; raising &gt; calling] kinda thing.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think reasonable people might disagree here on whether raising or folding is better, but calling with tight blinds? I might be missing something here. I thought of this as a [folding &gt; raising &gt; calling] kinda thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, one standard beginners strategy is to fold A9o unless in a steal situation. but here, as we have reads on vilians that makes them fairly predictable and eas(ier) to outplay postflop, i'm raing this up to fold the button and blinds. i'd prefer the blinds to be significantly tighter than 30+.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:49 AM

I wanted to play the hand because:

1. I figured, according to pokerstove, I have more than 33% equity against these guys.
2. I was 75% sure I could fold button and blinds. even if one of them came along, I had more than a 25% equity enough to play.
3. If an Ace fell, I was pretty sure I had MP1 beat and my kicker would be better than MP2 if he had the Ace.

I decided to fold because:
1. I'd have to seriously consider laying this down even if an Ace fell and both MP1 and MP2 started bet/raising and I was doubtful I could do that.

2. truthfully, I've been in a brutal downswing of suckouts (my KK had just been cracked by 22 getting trips on the turn and J4o flopping 2 pair anyways), so I had in my head "you're gonna lose"

3. I'd either get pushed off the best hand by MP2's bluffing or pay off his A/Kx-crap kicker he'd find somewhere in the hand.

4. Wasn't sure if I was misapplying / messing up the pokerstove equity application or not [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So fear won out the day and sadly i flopped the nut fullhouse and turn a 3rd A, but i didn't want to be result-oriented.

my reads were correct though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
MP1 pays off with KQo
MP2 K6o [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]