Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlantic City Beatable?
Yes 1 11.11%
No 7 77.78%
Not Certain 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Wreckless or justfied move?

Its late in the Party Poker 5,000 guaranteed freeroll tourney and I am already well into the money. There are currently 12 players left and I am sitting in middle to later chip position with 170,000 or so and $60 guaranteed with the money steadily going up after 10th place. Blinds are 15 and 30 thousand and I am in the small blind. Side Note: I have already set my sights on the top 3 places and told myself that I am going to play to win the whole thing. There are 6 at my table and everyone seems to be playing to make sure they finish top 10. It is folded around to me (small blind) and I have K8o. The table has been very tight obviously and I don't know a whole lot about the player in the Big Blind who has me covered by 50,000 or so. I figure that I probably have the best hand and that even if he does have a slightly better hand (K10,Ace rag, etc) he will most likely fold. The blinds are clearly big enough to be worth stealing and my table image has been pretty tight (I've only gone all in with very strong hands). I push all in and he mulls it over for 15 seconds or so and calls. I'll post results later after a few responses. What do you think- honest advice? I thought about folding for quite awhile but concluded that I probably had the best hand and that i needed to boost my stack. Wreckless or justified? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Wreckless or justfied move?

In the situation you described, with the blinds that big and you have a tight table image, you have to push this in my opinion. Its not even a close decision for me.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM

As I said before he thought it over for 15 seconds and called with A9s. Neither of us hit any of our cards and he knocked me out. Thinking back on it I knew I was risking everything with only an above average hand but I don't know if I could have forgiven myself for folding when the range of hands he could of called with was so small. Any more responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Easy push,
Old 07-18-2005, 03:07 PM

So, folded around to you in the SB, you have an effective M of around 2, you push.

To me in the BB, you would do that with any 2, I call with almost any 2, 9 or higher. Tight image or no.

The only thing that would give me pause would be if you had folded your SB before in that situation, then I might give you credit for a reasonable hand, and fold a hand such as you described "(K10,Ace rag, etc)"

A better move would be a stop n' go, with a slight delay before you push any non-A flop. (to make it look like you hadn't already decided to push any non-A flop) At least, you've maximized your FE.

Assuming A9 lets you see a flop...

I'd probably fold, wait 2 hands and then push any 2, a) you will have reinforced your "tight" table image recently enough that they might remember b) you won't be challenging the BB of a stack that knocks you out.

FWIW

Regards

Gar
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM

Acccording to the votes, 42% would say fold.

This is hard for me to believe. Hero has just over 5BB, and K8o is an above average hand. He needs chips, this is no time to "wait for a better spot".

IMO, this is the better spot.

Anyway, for those 42% that say fold, please explain your reasoning...maybe I am missing something.

Regards,

Pulp

Edit: just saw gars response.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me in the BB, you would do that with any 2, I call with almost any 2, 9 or higher. Tight image or no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to push with Kx.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Seems like an easy push- I'd be interested to hear from the almost 50% of the crowd that said fold (at least when I posted)
Old 07-18-2005, 04:15 PM

I think the main reason why people are suggesting a fold here is the chip stack of the big blind. His chip stack is only slightly larger than our hero's & BB has to make a move soon as well. Also k8o while a reasonanle hand, is not a powerhouse. We have no real straight or flush possibilities with it. In the end I would probably lean towards folding at this point, but can definitely understand hero's all-in move
at this juncture.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:16 PM

1. You're a favorite over a random hand.
2. While you're AVG-Above AVG stacked, the blinds are so big you have to move.
3. You're at the final table bubble against weak players hoping to limp up a few notches in the money.

Unfortunate result, but you werent that big of a dog to his A9.

I push w K8 here without much thought.