Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Any scientologists here?

[ QUOTE ]
but any Christian who says that they're wacko because of the Xenu thing is a hypocrite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I disagree. A lot of the stories in the bible really happened. A lot of the stuff is based in fact. The story about Joseph and his coat of many colors is true and there are tons of artifacts to back it up. There is proof that moses existed. You can go on and on.

Yes it's true that a lot of the stuff in the bible is out there but that is going to happen with a book that was slapped together from many independent writings from many different people thousands of years ago.

I don't know that much about scientology so maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Still, it gives the wrong impression.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:31 PM

that's a good point Wacki, I wasn't thinking about it those terms.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:44 PM

If you start by telling a guy that an invisible man runs the universe, that he impregnated a virgin, the kid got crucified, and then came back to life, well, it sounds a bit far fetched. Just like Xenu.

Yes, much of the Bible really happened. Scientology doesn't get "super" goofy until way late in the game.

~D
Old 07-03-2005, 03:49 PM

It's just as plausible to me that life on Earth was created by volcanoes, nukes, and aliens as it was all made by an invisible man in the sky.

That is, very unplausible.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:57 PM

The thing is, both start off with some value. The 10 commandments aren't bad really, especially to a bunch of warring tribes. And scientology's neurolinguistic programming stuff is pretty cool.

But it rapidly escalates in both cases into much greater silliness. Too bad.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF, I knew scientology was stupid but I didn't know it was that stupid. Man Tom Cruise really must be a looney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure if he "knows" that stuff. If you follow the correct Scientologist "path" or whatever, you don't hear about Xenu until you're sufficiently brainwashed about a million bucks and several sessions with an e-meter into it.

It's actually far more plausible than most religions, so to call him a looney kinda calls every single follower of any religion a looney. I'm not disputing this, and not attacking you (since I don't know or care about your religious affiliations or lack thereof), but any Christian who says that they're wacko because of the Xenu thing is a hypocrite.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you see the survivors of Xenu's little fiasco were taken and put into these 3D theaters, where they were 'implanted' with all the stuff that you and I take for granted. Religion, for one.

I think Scientologists can only have limited contact to the 'real' world.. which starts after they attain the 'clear' status.

So when Tom Cruise says he knows the 'real' history of psychiatry... he probably isn't talking about 'history' like you and I think about history. As in, according to historical record. HE probably means, 'I know it's all a setup, implanted by the 3D movies after the survival of the volcano explosions'.

Scientology is all about brain-washing, and then protecting that brain-washing. So unless you're in Clearwater, FL running into a Scientologist would probably be pretty rare.

Btw... I only know about what I've read on the web about it, so I may have some bias against it inherent in my sources.

KO
Old 07-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Scientologists can only have limited contact to the 'real' world.. which starts after they attain the 'clear' status.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for Scientologists, and cults in general.

It's also one of the dirty secrets we don't want to admit about established religions, too. Or even clubs in general. One of the ways they promote cohesion among members is by denigrating, at least implicitly, outsiders or non-members. And it's very often not merely implicit. There's more than mere welcome in inundating new initiates with activities and assigning them "study buddies," etc. It's not enough that the new adherent bring himself to the club or religion, no matter how fully; he must also exclude things other, which goes hand in hand with devaluing them.

That's one of the saddest things about everything from trying to hang with the popular crowd in school to joining a religion or even getting an advanced degree; so often doing so is not constructed as a way to add to yourself, but also as a way to subtract from yourself, in ways including the negative ones. New believers or the newly promoted often disdain or purport to disdain things and people they enjoy, in a way that makes their lives and souls lesser. Whether it's the daughter who rejects her family because they're not "clear" or the man whose degree turns him into a newly minted jackass, everyone is made the lesser, and healthy relations with others are damaged rather than augmented. Which is especially sadly ironic considering the supposed purpose of gaining knowledge, wisdom, or religious insight would seem to be the broadening of the person rather than his isolation and shutting down.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but any Christian who says that they're wacko because of the Xenu thing is a hypocrite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I disagree. A lot of the stories in the bible really happened. A lot of the stuff is based in fact. The story about Joseph and his coat of many colors is true and there are tons of artifacts to back it up. There is proof that moses existed. You can go on and on.

Yes it's true that a lot of the stuff in the bible is out there but that is going to happen with a book that was slapped together from many independent writings from many different people thousands of years ago.

I don't know that much about scientology so maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Still, it gives the wrong impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obviously never read the old testament. I think god sending an angel down to test the homesexuality of a man, a test the man fails, and is then punished by having firery rain fall on and destroy his town is equally as ridiculious as the story of Xenu.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hubbard describes "how 'Teegeeack' (Earth) came to be populated 75 million years ago by 'thetans' (souls) when the evil ruler Xenu of the Galactic Federation cast them into volcanos and blew them up with a hydrogen bomb to solve his local overpopulation problems."

http://www.mystae.com/streams/gnosis/otiii.html

WTF, I knew scientology was stupid but I didn't know it was that stupid. Man Tom Cruise really must be a looney.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO, seriously. I am so interested in learning more about this now. I never really paid any attention to it, assuming if was sort of a fad. But man, people really BUY into this stuff?