Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Did I make it too obvious?

30+3 SNG on Empire. near the end of 100/200 blinds, I have about 3800 chips, sb (directly to my left) has about 250, other 2 players have about 2k a piece. I have been able top get myself in this situation less and less lately, but this is easy so I take advantage of it. Im pushing any 2 cards from button and cutoff, folding from sb to keep the BB alive. Even when the blinds rose to 300, the shorty had about 180 chips or so, so i wasnt forced to automatically call. Anyway, I think the shortie figured it out - he folded everything and let me protect him. The medium stack figured it out after a couple of rounds, and was pushing once per round (when i was button, he pushed into the other medium stack). I didnt like it, but he folded when i was BB, and folded when shortie was in bb, so i had to let him get away with 1 blind steal a round (I got 2 - my own and his. he got other medium stack's - and shortie got to stay alive during his BB). The other medium stack was clueless and kept folding 'till he was blinded away when i had about 6k outta 8k chips- and went out 4th. Ironically, the shortstack ended up finishing second (this seems to happen to me a lot when im in this situation - the shortie finishes 2nd or third.)

Here is my question. every round i had about 20 or 15 more chips to call to take out the shortie, but i folded. the idiot medium stack got frustrated once and raised 400 outta his 1k stack into shorties bb. I thought about pushing my trash - but couldnt risk he would call after putting most of his trash in - and didnt wanna triple up the shortie. lucky the shorties trash beat utg's A4. The 4th place finisher was apparently the only one at the table clueless to my strategy, and after busting out accused me and the shortie of colluding, and claimed to email Empire. Will empire have a clue about my strategy, or will they give me a warning? Im only worried about a warning because I plan on using this strategy again whenever the oppurtunity arises, and what if someone else emails empire too?

How should I react in the future if someone accuses me of colluding? Just ignore him? I basically if I took out the shortie he wouldnt fold anymore, but I regretted tipping my hand - even tho i had it wrapped up by then, I dont like educating the fish too much.

Btw, I want to thank 2+2 and Daliman especially to hipping me to this strategy. I think his hand histories on http://teamfu.freeshell.org/replayer.html# were almost solely responsible from turning me from a break even single table sng'er to a profitable multi-tabling sng'er (well, along with tightening up significantly first 3-5 rounds). Also, the question arose in a thread discussing this awhile back how to combat this strategy. The answer became obvious to me from this game. If you are the shortie - you keep folding and let the largestack protect you - you will make it into the money half the time anyway as one of the medium stack eventually gets fed up and calls. If you are one of the medium stacks - even tho you cant really call, you can push before he has entered the pot. I push any 2, but if someone has pushed before me im not calling, it defeats the purpose, (if I win i lose my FE, if i lose I double him up). There should be at least one hand a round you can push without stepping on his toes too much.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Did I make it too obvious?

I dont think there was anything wrong with what you did and it seems to have cleary worked solely because of the clueless guy. His threat to say that you are in collusion with the short stack is 99% tilt and anger talking and the other 1% still a waste of your time to think about because you weren't. Empire isnt stupid. Now if this happened like 10 times with the same guy as short stack, only maybe would there be any issue, but I dont see that happening, so continue to play well and let the losers bitch about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:09 AM

I'd say the only thing I hear more than that I'm colluding is that I'm an idiot and its always from the dude that gets knocked out. dont worry about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 AM

haha, yes. I get called an idiot quite often - they dont seem to notice i have between 5-7k outta 8k chips when they get knocked out. I also get called an a$$hole quite often, as when i call a guys raise of 1/3 his stack preflop and push any flop post flop.. haha