Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 AM

Default KK

From memory, I'll do the best I can with the details.

UB $5/$10

I don't play in this game too often, so I have no reads on the players or how the game plays. I've been in for a couple of orbits, and have not done anything. Everyone folds to the button who opens for a pot sized raise of $35, I'm in the BB with QTs and defend. Flop comes 98x rainbow, with one of my suit. I bet the pot $75, he raises to $300, I push (reckless, I know) for $965 more, he calls with KK. Looking at a $665 call with $1340 in the pot against an unknown, I tend to fold KK. Am I playing too tight, in general?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: KK

Yes, I think so. If I have KK and an opponent pushs there I do not put them on a set, barring a read. This board has a straight draw so If I'm KK I think villain pushes with TJ more often than a hand that beats me.

Or villain has 98. I think my reasoning has pretty much gone out the door and I'm realizing why I don't play 5/10. Nevertheless I still call.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: KK

Poker is more than just the cards, you have to consider a lot of things, and this hand is a prime example of it. He's raising from the steal position, and you decide to defend. So he knows you may not believe he has a real hand. So in this particular situation its an easy call with KK.

In general, I would say in a headsup pot, it is very difficult to fold Aces or Kings, and most times you probably should go ahead and make the call, but it depends on the flop, and how tight your opponent is.

It sounds like you may be taking a shot in a game which is bigger than what you normally play. I would reccomend observing the games of a new level for awhile before actually playing there, that way you have notes on who the rocks are and who the calling stations are, and believe me this can save you several buy ins.

David