Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you left or Right handed?
Left handed 50 27.32%
Right handed 122 66.67%
Ambidextrous 11 6.01%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: How much did you win/lose in your first year?

[ QUOTE ]

and 50,000+ i just dont think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Just make the final 3 at one of the big Sunday tournies on Stars and you're there.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So far EVERYBODY in the poll won, except me.

I'm suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]
These polls never seem to get honest answers. There was one not too long ago about how much you lost before you reached the point where you could win at poker, and it turned out that everyone on twoplustwo has been a winning poker player since birth, except for one guy who was making 3 BB/100 in utero and one who was allowed to carry his bankroll over from a previous life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best post I have ever seen on any internet ever.

I owe you a pint. But you owe me one back for the one you made me spew over my new monitor.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 PM

oops, one misclick here. take one vote away from $50,000+ [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm suspicious.

Pretty much every big-time poker player will admit to going broke several time during his or her lifetime, especially when they started playing. I don't see how that is consistent with everybody else in the poll here making money from the get-go.

But hey, maybe I'm the worst player here. It's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if you played .5/1 on party a year ago, it was pretty much shooting fish in a barrel. i never studied or read a book, but just used common sense to beat the games. when 7 people see a flop every time, its pretty easy to wait for monsters and rake in the big pots. i don't even think i raised aa preflop! however, i managed to beat the uber-fish. anyways, now i am only a slightly above average small stakes player, whereas many people who have been playing for a shorter period of time are playing 15/30 and making the big money. at least it seems like everybody is playing 15/30 if they have been playing more than 1 year. maybe i just see the extreme success stories more often than the failure stories. i think i just don't enjoy the gambling aspect of poker enough to ever become great at it. i guess if i actually had money to blow it would be different. playing with scared money is a great way to stay average (at best).
Old 03-31-2005, 03:11 AM

I posted between 2k and 10k initially, as I started with $50 last may...but I realized the year's not over so my answer may yet prove to be incorrect... Ah well, that's what I get for reading it fast at 2:15. hah.

Surf
Old 03-31-2005, 03:35 AM

I agree...If one starts properly bankrolled at a low limit there's no reason to go broke... it may take a little bit of luck if the bankroll is kind of thin ( or one's skills are not developed) - but it seems to me that games like the 0.25/0.50 at pokerroom and 0.50/1 at party are beatable even by mediocre players who play tight while they learn.

Surf
Old 03-31-2005, 03:38 AM

made 6k my first year playing casually.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm suspicious.

Pretty much every big-time poker player will admit to going broke several time during his or her lifetime, especially when they started playing. I don't see how that is consistent with everybody else in the poll here making money from the get-go.

But hey, maybe I'm the worst player here. It's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we may be underestimating the positive effect of reading this forum. Starting at the micros, only moving up when a player has sufficient bankroll and studying the available literature is drummed into any regular 2+2er. Taking even partial notice of this advice almost guarantees a modest positive return, at worst. Let's face it, 0.5/1 is pretty poor.

I would imagine that the majority of first year losers have simply played above their true level. I occasionally read posts from newbies who appear pretty clueless, yet are playing 3/6 or 5/10. If they played micros, they would probably be winners over their first year.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:22 PM

i made close to 30k last year. i started playing in march.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:29 PM

Started seriously in January. I expect to make approx 8k by December.