Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 PM

Default What has been your best month yet in NL, is this possible?

I was just in the general forum

(link)

and this PHENOMENOM claims (and I dont doubt him becuase his a respected poster )

[ QUOTE ]
This month so far. Over 50k and it's not over yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

(he means 50k $ )

Is this even possible in NL I mean should I move to limit. WTF [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] This guy is playing aroung 40K hands a month but making 50K$ isnt it insane.

Please tell me to stick to NL

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: What has been your best month yet in NL, is this possible?

One of the players in the mid-high NL forum claims to be up 30k at the new Party 1000 tables already. And that doesn't seem too improbable for anyone that's multi-tabling them full-time and getting a bit of favorable luck. At a modest winrate of 7.5PTBB/100 you'd be winning about $3/hand, so you'd need about 10k hands per week. Tough, but possible.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 PM

There is not much practical earnings limit playing either limit or no limit. It is basically a style issue, I think. If you prefer to play 8 tables of 15/30 you can probably make the same amount of money that way as by playing 3 tables of 25/50 NL or whatever (I am too lazy to make reasonable assumptions and do the math, but it should be clear that this is an easy exercise to do). So it just comes down to which game better fits your skill set and your playing style. And nothing says that you can't play both. But for me, and I'm guessing for you, the largest determinant of my earnings for the near future is the level of stakes that I play. So I am just working on improving my game and building my bankroll and then moving up stakes. Certainly NL is not the limiting factor on my win rate.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:37 AM

10k hands at 30PTBB/100.

I don't play at a level where this is in 5 figures, but at least it's well in 4 figures. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really want to take shots at the NL 1000 games, but I have no balls (and soon to be no bankroll).
Old 03-09-2005, 03:28 AM

I wouldn't worry. Think about it this way:

you play the PP1K NL 4 tabling 6max and beat it for a modest amount, say 5PTBB/100. that's $200/hr or 8K a week, on average, from that game if you played it full time.

limit is much much more streaky than NL. that same guy, who is a winning player, can have months where he loses. 4 tabling full time at NL this is damn near impossible without tilt.

as a sidenote, I've spoken to players who play the 10/20 game at commerce and the amount of money that game is worth sickens me. if you're strictly out for the cash, sit there and you can have months far, far over 50K.

fim
Old 03-09-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a sidenote, I've spoken to players who play the 10/20 game at commerce and the amount of money that game is worth sickens me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind quoting the figures you've heard?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
30PTBB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre da man !!!!!!

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 AM

I am sorry if my english is not that good you can you explain this

[ QUOTE ]
limit is much much more streaky than NL. that same guy, who is a winning player, can have months where he loses. 4 tabling full time at NL this is damn near impossible without tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which guy the Limit or NL. Are you saying in Limit there is less tilt?

Everybody knows youre a good player (wish I could only begin to understand your advice in the posts you make, and this unfortunatlly has nothing to do with my enlish). Can you please tell me and the others and you dont have to if you dont want, how much money you make per month in how many hands/hours. Just so I know If I play like you Ill be good. Honest I am not here to make a fortune I am a grad student poker is my "side kick" If I can averege 2.5K$ a month Im happy playing around 8k hands a month. Again I am sorry to get in your pocket so to speak

thanks flm

Old 03-09-2005, 04:03 AM

He's saying that in limit, there is more variance. When you hit draws you make money, when your opponents hit draws, you lose money. When you miss draws, you lose money, your opponents miss draws, you make money. That is a function of the fact that you cannot control the odds that they have to draw with very much. In NL, if you can correctly IDENTIFY draws, then you can set very bad odds. Therefore, you will make money in expectation every time you can read their hand correctly. In limit, even if you KNOW they are on a draw, there is very little you can do to make their drawing incorrect.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Very nicely said.