Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Button Bongo Bonanza at the Bike

Thanks Rick. I'd apologize for screwing up in my original post for my inaccurate description, but if I'd have gotten it right, we would have missed out on your explanation for the "locking up seat 8" scenario. Thanks for that.

Here's what actually happened, as I'm now recalling it. In my original description I said seat 6 moved to my seat, and he in fact did, right away, after having taken his BB in seat 6. But, I know there was someone on the button when I was offering to take the BB in the 7 seat. What I believe happened was that while we were discussing what to do, the guy on the phone sat back down in the 5 seat, and got the button, but slid over to the now empty 6 seat, to take the button there.

What should happen in this scenario? 6 seat with the button, me in the 7 seat, 8 seat having moved from the 6 seat after having taken his BB.

I was thinking I should be able to take the BB in the 7 seat, have the 8 seat wait one hand, and have the 9 seat also take a BB. Then next hand I would get the SB on the button and the 8 seat has the option of buying the button for 6 chips with 2 chips dead. The 9 seat then comes back in as the SB on the following hand with the 8 seat getting the button. In this scenario the 8 seat gets the penalty for leaving on his SB, rather than me.

The floorman made me wait and post the big and small blinds behind the button, by the way.

Sparks
Old 02-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Button Bongo Bonanza at the Bike

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Rick. I'd apologize for screwing up in my original post for my inaccurate description, but if I'd have gotten it right, we would have missed out on your explanation for the "locking up seat 8" scenario. Thanks for that.

Here's what actually happened, as I'm now recalling it. In my original description I said seat 6 moved to my seat, and he in fact did, right away, after having taken his BB in seat 6. But, I know there was someone on the button when I was offering to take the BB in the 7 seat. What I believe happened was that while we were discussing what to do, the guy on the phone sat back down in the 5 seat, and got the button, but slid over to the now empty 6 seat, to take the button there.

What should happen in this scenario? 6 seat with the button, me in the 7 seat, 8 seat having moved from the 6 seat after having taken his BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I worked as a floorman years ago I always divided decision making into two parts. After getting the table under control, part one was getting all the required facts and make sure that no one had anything of importance to add (without revealing my decision). This was often the hard part. Next came the decision, which was usually easy. Floormen that start to make a decision before getting all the facts straight are usually going to get into trouble [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've scrolled "what you wrote about what you think is right" down off my screen for now so I won't be influenced. It seems I'm starting with a new problem so this isn't quite "Groundhog Day".

Fact 1: The guy with the button in seat five slid the button over to seat 6 which was now empty. That's OK, when a player drags the button with him to an unoccupied seat (assuming no intervening seats are occupied) everything is copacetic.

Fact 2: You have yet to take a blind, and have now slid into the seven seat. Since the button is now in the six seat, ifyou want to play immediately you must post a big blind this hand (and post a small blind on the button next hand).

Fact 3 (I think - this story has changed about three times): The guy who was in seat six and had the BB the previous hand in fact did get up and immediately occupied the eight seat. This is a bad time to get up as now he is missing a blind, can't deal off, and must post the big blind again if he wants to get in right away (otherwise he can wait for the blinds to pass and post a live big and dead small or BTB when you in seat seven take the button).

Assuming seat eight wants to play, seat six has the button, you have a big blind in seat seven, and seat eight posts a big blind in seat eight. Next hand you post a small blind on the button in seat seven, seat eight posts a small blind, and seat nine posts the big blind. The next hand the blinds return to normal.

Note that seat eight pays an extra blind due to the fact he moved in the middle of his blinds rather than locking the seat he wanted, completing his blinds and button and dealing off.

Now I'll scroll down to your thoughts.

You wrote: "I was thinking I should be able to take the BB in the 7 seat, have the 8 seat wait one hand, and have the 9 seat also take a BB."

Seat eight doesn't have to wait but he could. He still moved at a bad time and at some point will be paying a penalty (a dead blind or pay three blinds in three hands)

"Then next hand I would get the SB on the button and the 8 seat has the option of buying the button for 6 chips with 2 chips dead. The 9 seat then comes back in as the SB on the following hand with the 8 seat getting the button. In this scenario the 8 seat gets the penalty for leaving on his SB, rather than me.

This would work - you post a small blind on the button in any event. Of course seat 8 could pass on buying the button (it is an option) and either post behind with the small blind dead or wait one round or just take his big blind again as described above.

The floorman made me wait and post the big and small blinds behind the button, by the way."

That would be unnecessary and wrong if the facts are correct as last written (given they changed about three times I'm not betting my life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) PM me with the name of the floorman and I'll gently go over this and all the variations [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rick