Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 AM

Default AQo 100NL party deepstacks

Button is 55/8 borderline maniac with 35% WTSD. He chases any draw and calls down with pretty much any piece, and has been on a huge rush. For example maybe 30-something hands ago he called potbets on flop+turn with A2o on 45x flop and x turn, catching an A on the river and winning a decent pot. Then this happened:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($105.90)
BB ($102.30)
Hero ($270.80)
MP ($95.90)
Button ($648.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, Button calls $9.

Turn: ($27.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $20.

River: ($67.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $80</font>, Hero ??

Final Pot: $147.50

Bet more on turn? Block river? I haven't seen him bet this big on the river before, I figured check/call would be cheapest but I might've been wrong. Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Re: AQo 100NL party deepstacks

Definitely block the river. As played, I fold given your read. AT and Tx[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are both very possible.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM

Never stop betting against a maniac when you have a hand. The minute you checked he put you on a missed flush or a weak A and took full advantage of you. Bet 2/3 pot on the river. Unless he had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] it's hard to see a hand that beats you here. I think you see a worse two pair many times like KQ,KJ or QJ.

Would you overbet the pot with a T here? You would probably try to make a bet that someone will call so you can collect. As played I don't think you can fold here.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 AM

looks good unti the river, don't check to maniacs when a draw misses unless you want to pick off a bluff. Make it 2/3 next time. This is a call for reasons 421 said.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:18 AM

I'll try blocking bet next time, it's just I really didn't think he'd overbet the river, and it felt like he was going to raise a river bet with alot of holdings here. If you bet 45-50 and he minraises you, do you call?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll try blocking bet next time, it's just I really didn't think he'd overbet the river, and it felt like he was going to raise a river bet with alot of holdings here. If you bet 45-50 and he minraises you, do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are important, but generally, the point of a blocking bet is to get a cheap showdown and fold if raised. Some people, however, have trouble doing that and call the raises anyway.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must fold if he comes over the top unless you have seen him do this before with air. As Poboy said, the whole point of the blocking bet is a cheap showdown.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are important, but generally, the point of a blocking bet is to get a cheap showdown and fold if raised. Some people, however, have trouble doing that and call the raises anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... sometimes I'm one of those people. But I'm really trying to stop, which makes for some tough rivers at times. I haven't seen him play any hands who were similar to this one, which makes it hard to do anything based on a read, and on top of it all I'm OOP.

It's too bad you can't move seats and keep your stack on party, since I had been trying to catch a big hand against this guy for maybe 45minutes atleast, and saw a couple opportunites for a change of seat, but then I would be back at 100bb again...