Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Default $1/2: Get raised by a rock, but my hand is really good too

The rock's stats are:

VP$IP: 14.4%
PFR%: 5%
AFT: 1.5

Now, a word about these stats...he seems incredibly tight but I'd seen him get aggressive numerous times on a draw as well as trying to exploit his tight image preflop, raising with stuff like J8s utg. I think he was a bit card dead, because 14.4 is just impossibly low.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

I think I overcooked this hand a tad...thoughts?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: $1/2: Get raised by a rock, but my hand is really good too

That's way too many bets against this guy. That river doesn't really change anything. I'd just call down after the turn CR here. River cap is a huge mistake IMO.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:56 PM

I'd just call the river bet. But, if those stats are from a decent sample size (few hundred+), then we should expect him to be chopping us, at best. I think this guy could fold 44 and 55 without flopping a set.

All the same, it's possible. So, I just call the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I overcooked this hand a tad

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

You've been screaming to him, "I have AK! I have AK!" He's been screaming to you "AK no good! AK no good!"

What kind of hand range does a rock cold-call from the blind? Small PP? AQ-AJ? A5/A3/A2? Does he go this crazy with AQ/AJ? Slow down. Way down.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's way too many bets against this guy. That river doesn't really change anything. I'd just call down after the turn CR here. River cap is a huge mistake IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn 3-bet, as his raise could come from A8-AQ. This guy is tight, and if he reads some of our blind defense links, he might just call with as high as AQ. Let's get another bet from those hands, but slow down when the "i've got 44, 55, AK" river bet comes.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn 3-bet, as his raise could come from A8-AQ. This guy is tight, and if he reads some of our blind defense links, he might just call with as high as AQ. Let's get another bet from those hands, but slow down when the "i've got 44, 55, AK" river bet comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the turn 3-bet is close. The guy's states make me want to call. 3-bet isn't bad though.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy's states make me want to call. 3-bet isn't bad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I see a 6-max VPIP of 14%, I immediately think the number of hands isn't credible and not that this guy is super-tight. It's probably a mix of both though.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I overcooked this hand a tad...thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so. Usually a raise on the turn means something that can beat one pair. SB ought to be figuring a good ace as one of your possible holdings and he is showing no apparent concern about that so I'd just call this turn checkraise. I'd put him on two pair, most likely aces over, a set, or the straight

When another ace comes on the river and SB bets out after you three bet his checkraise on the turn, I'm figuring he likely filled up a full house or he's got that straight. I think you could practically lay this down, but getting 10:1 I'd give it a call.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 AM

I would just call the c/r on the turn.

I would raise the river bet and call the reraise, I would not cap it here.