Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Didn\'t think this blocking bet would work but it did

Live 5-150 spread game. Villian is a set miner, weak/tight nit that sees monsters under the bed. I have him covered by a about $200. Table is playing pretty passive PF at the moment with only one or two people making lots of raises, but gets aggressive and wild post flop.

PF: A couple of limpers to me in CO with T8o and I limp, OTB is the villian who limps, SB folds and BB checks.

Flop: ($25) 973r, checks around to me and I lead for $20, villian calls all the rest fold. As soon as he called I knew he had a hand. The limp from the button and smooth call was most likely 33 or 77 for a set.

Turn: ($65) A, I lead for $5, villian is confused and calls.

I am really surprised the small bet worked as a blocker. I want to see the river with the OESD as cheaply as possible and I knew from his past play that if I was right and he had the set he was going to bet big on the turn. But I also knew he had enough respect for me that if I throw out a strange bet like I did that he would see monsters or at the very least confuse the hell out of him.

We talked about the hand later on a break, and he admitted to me that he was scared I had slow played AA looking for a LRR with a aggressive BB. And that he was indeed confused as to what to do with the small extermely non standard bet from me (I am pretty aggressive post flop). He was looking to RR a PSB from me, but the minimum bet throw him off so bad he made a bad play.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Didn\'t think this blocking bet would work but it did

i dont play live, but i dont see how that would work online at all. i see it all the time online, guy leads for $2 into a $12 pot against a field of 6, its almost always a draw.

i treat min-bets just like a check, and definitely dont call it a block bet.

but it looks like it works against weak/tight nits who see monsters under the bed. i still cant believe he didnt raise a set against you on the turn, though, however weak/tight he is (basically, i could never see a half-decent player limping AA on the CO hoping for a blind to raise)
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM

villan is a bad player... nough said.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villan is a bad player... nough said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! He is.

I should have put a "low content" warning on it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont play live, but i dont see how that would work online at all. i see it all the time online, guy leads for $2 into a $12 pot against a field of 6, its almost always a draw.

i treat min-bets just like a check, and definitely dont call it a block bet.

but it looks like it works against weak/tight nits who see monsters under the bed. i still cant believe he didnt raise a set against you on the turn, though, however weak/tight he is (basically, i could never see a half-decent player limping AA on the CO hoping for a blind to raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right on the mark on all points. It was funny as I assured him that indeed I would have made that play with AA hoping for a LRR, LMAO!

I really can not believe just how bad some of these live players are.

I also ignore the small min or complete under bets from all but the strongest players when I am in this game. When it comes from a strong player I always raise it and fold to a big RR.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Congratulations nice blocking bet...By the way did you hit your hand on the river and stack him?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations nice blocking bet...By the way did you hit your hand on the river and stack him?

[/ QUOTE ]

no way he stacks this villain even if he does hit
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM

No I did not stack him, but I did take some nice off the hand from him.

A 6 hit the river and I lead for $75 to him, he RR $100, I RR 150 and he open folded with 77. I did not show since he was claiming I turned the set with AA that I had slow played. I figured why let him or anyone else think otherwise.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM

A blocking bet would be $15. I believe this is more correctly called a "post oak" bet, which is a small bet into a large pot.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:13 PM

I thought "post oak" was only used in reference to a river bet?