Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: I have destroyed some lands this weekend

[ QUOTE ]
Is there actually any skill involved in magic? It seems like it would be very easy to always find the optimal play and you can always copy someone else's deck

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I hope you realize this is a very weird question to ask, coming from a poker player. Do people ever ask you if there's actually any skill in poker? Do you get annoyed?

A lot of the skills from Magic carry over to poker and vice versa, especially things like retrograde analysis (to determine the cards in a person's hand) and constantly assessing your chances of winning are, along with what cards you need to increase your chances etc since this affects the value of plays that are currently available to you.

However, one of the most significant skill sets in Magic, rules knowledge, has no equivalent in poker. The Magic rules can be fairly complicated and you have to have a really good understanding of how they work in order to train your mind to spot some of the more advanced plays. Don't get confused though, this is entirely different from the rules knowledge required to be a judge. A judge can be presented with a situation and make a ruling because he knows the rules well, a good player can spot that play in the first place. It's like a proactive vs reactive thing.

So to put it bluntly, yeah, you could say there is some skill involved in Magic. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, Congrats on your finish, old-timer!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow I just read through those links and it's like another [censored] language. What are they saying?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, I just skimmed through the report of his match too. I actually dig how they matter-of-factly report all the stuff going on; it makes it funny for me in an "lol nerds" kind of way
Old 11-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Oh no! You're making me want to play again!

When I was in my mid-teens I played local tournaments. My friend and I would split the cards and build decks like every day. When we won (often, because we were dorks), we'd split the booster boxes and that was probably the most exciting time of my teenage years...until I got laid.

I quit when I was 16 or so. Ack I want to play again, but I'm already such a dork.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy cow I just read through those links and it's like another [censored] language. What are they saying?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Dungeons and Dragons card game. I figure the dungeon master did some smoting or something and then he ruled the land with goblins or demons or something.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I quit when I was 16 or so. Ack I want to play again, but I'm already such a dork.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is like nicotine, once you quit you get cravings every so often.

My name is durron597, and I'm a M:TG survivor.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to put things in perspective, not attacking with piledriver there is the equivelent of checking behind on the river in limit holdem when you have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was half way through writing this post when I decided it wasn't accurate. It more like not putting him all-in for his last $5 with the nuts on the river in 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 is meaningless at 30/60. One damage, especially from that deck is huge. It's actually more than 5% of the entire game, but I don't want to get into magic game theory to explain why.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome expression

[/ QUOTE ]

MTG produces some wild expressions, or so i hear

now ask yourself, does this look like the face of a guy who had his Mogg Fanatic countered with a Nantuko Shade, or what?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just to put things in perspective, not attacking with piledriver there is the equivelent of checking behind on the river in limit holdem when you have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was half way through writing this post when I decided it wasn't accurate. It more like not putting him all-in for his last $5 with the nuts on the river in 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 is meaningless at 30/60. One damage, especially from that deck is huge. It's actually more than 5% of the entire game, but I don't want to get into magic game theory to explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick non-theory question. Do you have to win one of these tournaments to get to be Dungeon Master, or does that rotate?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quick non-theory question. Do you have to win one of these tournaments to get to be Dungeon Master, or does that rotate?

[/ QUOTE ]

With all your various skills, I can't believe you aren't a pro comic or big name tourney pro yet.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These, ladies and gentlemen, are the words of a man trying his damnedest to pretend that he's completely ignorant of a subject that he's far, far too cool to be publicly associated with.

Nerd. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]