Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 AM

Default (22) 1xBB left 88

Sorry I don't have the HH. this is a hand that a friend played while he was at my house last night. I was playing different games next to him and we both couldn't decide what to do.

250/500
He was on the button with 415.
SB had over 5k chips
BB had 420 posted
UTG folded with 1100.

SB had been relatively passive and my friend stole a lot from him when his hands would hold up if called. But if he wouldn't steal on the button, SB would usually fold the SB to the other short stack.

And if he didn't steal from UTG, the big stack would usually fold without a hand. So, while he was trying to maintain/double up, the big stack was keeping the other two stacks on life support as well. So, he would need to steal 2 times/round just to make any ground, and this is hard to do with the big stack on your left. Though he's passive, if he calls you're out.

Anyway, onto the hand.

Same setup as above, my friend gets 88 in the button. UTG folds.

HERO ... ?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: (22) 1xBB left 88

I think I would have to call here. You're stuffed whatever you do really.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 AM

Wow. This is a really good post. It sounds like you think the big stack will fold from the SB if you fold. If that's the case, I think you should call here.

Part of the reason lies in the fact that if you win the hand, you'll be close to 2nd in chips.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I'm folding AK.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This is a really good post. It sounds like you think the big stack will fold from the SB if you fold. If that's the case, I think you should call here.

Part of the reason lies in the fact that if you win the hand, you'll be close to 2nd in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, and expect the big stack will call in all situations in this hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like this.

this is the second post in 2 days that has the subtext of "even though it's 4 handed, and i'm the short stack, and the player who has more chips than i has a wide variety of plays that don't include idioticly getting all in and busting before me, i would rather assume that he will do that, and screw myself if my opponent is not an absolute turkey."

this time it's worse because there's a very significant chance that if you win this hand you do better than 3rd.

c
Old 11-17-2005, 06:45 AM

All in all tuff one because you are throwing your chips against lots of overcards, and if SB wins the hands you're bubble boy too (obviously, if you had slightly more than BB i would be an autopush), here it is a close decision, but I would call.

Here are my reasons for calling:
-If you fold SB might fold (i would to preserve the bubble, with 5k in chips I'll try to keep it up and bully the 2nd stack until I have 6/7k, donkey players might fold also for a totally different reason: not understanding the odds). The probabity of SB folding is the absolute key for this decision. If BB gets a free walk it is a DISASTER for you.

-If you triple up you have a decent shot at more than third, wich I believe is a key in these types of decisions

-BB is already all in and therefore you do not give him a freeroll. If he had the option to fold an extra 10 chips I am not sure how this would affect your play.