Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Very General Concept Question

okay i know this will depend greatly on hand texture and everything, but i'm trying to get some sort of general lines of thinking.
so here's the deal:

3/6 6-max seems to be uberloose and semi-aggressive compared to my 2/4 experience.

Villain type #1: uberaggressive before the flop. pretty good flop play, loose turn calls, river ABC for the most part.

he 3-bets and caps with marginal hands very frequently. he's capped 99 and JTo. he 3-bets with position with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], checks AQT- 1 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], calls when an 8 hits and raises when he hits 2 pair on the river.

should i be more aggressive against this type player preflop, start donkbetting more flops when i hit? or just play normal hands and hope he stops getting lucky?

Villain #2: cold calls a lot. loose flop peels. if i have UI overcards and check the turn, he is sure to bet the river regardless of his hand. i'm tired of him hitting the river if i could have folded him on the turn, but i'm not sure whatelse to do?

an example board would be: i have AQo board is K53r. check to be, i bet knowing they'll raise the K. of course they call because this board isn't that scary. then the turn comes a 9- bet again? check?

sorry for the long post and really general question, but when you hit a downswing as well as try to adjust to a new limit, my hand reading goes way down against such random trash or are they playing well and i'm playing dumb and spewing i really can't tell. (ps: if this is a total crap post, that's cool too but i'm just so confused at this level right now, i'm not sure whatelse to do)
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Very General Concept Question

Against a player like villain #1, I try to play premium hands and play them very aggressively. My idea is to win a big pot from this type of player. This very often gets them off their game. Against a player like villain #2, I try not to get heavily involved with pots where I only have overcards. Players like this will call when they get any piece of a flop. Playing unimproved big cards can be costly against this type.