Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Default All Things Are Rarely Equal (aka Outfoxxxed 1)

Andy for some reason has it that you can't PM him (or maybe it's just my account can't), so this is really a PM that I'm going to post as I don't feel like PM'ing one of the people that knows him to pass it along...

Obviously, I had to comment on his article as it became a sub-theme in the whole debate about On the Edge 8 and how I was besmirching Andy...

And, while I wasn't, I'm likewise not going to now.

Eventually my point will be clear, but it all starts with my girlfriend, who likes to leave notes for me around the house. Eventually, she's going to be my wife, so I guess I'm going to have to get used to this -- and she's cool enough to put up with me, so I'm not about to get rid of her for something so trivial.

One of the notes yesterday that I found (and it might've been left days or weeks or months ago for all I know) was this:

Never say never and never say always.

It's a cliche, sure, and we've heard it before but it's applicable here, as this is a terrific example of a "never say never" situation, as we often talk about how it's never a good idea to leave a game if you're +EV in it.

And this has caused many of us to keep playing even when we're half asleep in these graveyard shift games as, well, everyone else is more tired than us and we keep racking up the chips.

And I've done this with fellas that I know as well, when I see them leaving "a good game" and wonder why they would. Myself, I'm much in the spot of Andy and I don't need to play for the money and the money is all just extra money that will pay for nonsense that I have to spend money on (see: the aforementioned note-leaver).

But not everyone is in that boat ... so they can't always "never" leave.

This article was phenomenal on a variety of levels, as it made me think of that guy who has to do that and has to worry about such things, it made me think of the exceptions to the "rule" of "never," and it made me thankful that I'm not in that boat worried about how I'm going to pay my mortage or about my ever-increasing property taxes on my ghetto house here in Fairfield.

For all of that, kudos, Andy, phenomenal article.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: All Things Are Rarely Equal (aka Outfoxxxed 1)

No question the article was great.

For those that understand the point, it's both simple and obvious. For those that don't, they may never get it or struggle before they do.

Kind of like "Ace on the River".

Learn to find wisdom everywhere.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 AM

Agreed.

And I'm sure many people got many different things from it, none of which are necessarily stated in the text, but doing that to readers is just what great writing should do...

It's too bad I couldn't besmirch this article as I'd hoped. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I guess there's always Foxtrot p.2.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Andy, phenomenal article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Andy, phenomenal article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-02-2005, 11:04 AM

What exactly was phenomenal about it? It was satisfactory, worthwhile, well thought out. Phenomenal? C'mon man. I won't go into why I think you said this, but gimme a break.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't go into why I think you said this

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ominous.

EVEN if people want to dismiss my "On the Edge" #7 & #8 as not being their cup of tea, you can't argue that the overall quality of the average 2+2 magazine article is great, and far above what you get in your other poker fare.

I thought this was above that already "great," so I went with "phenomenal." It's obviously a personal opinion and you're free not to share, but I think my (rambling) initial post will elaborate as to why I thought what I did.

It's too bad after all of the hullaballoo about me besmirching Andy last month that I couldn't follow-through with my review this month.

Alas, there is always Fox & The Hound p.2

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com