Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Default What is standard here? PF Question

You have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. 2 players have limped, the SB completes. My standard line is to raise here. Though I am OOP, I figure juice the pot with a pretty good TPTK-type hand.

1)Is there a good reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

2)How many limpers before this is a check?

3)88-TT?

4)For non-paired starting hands, how low do you go? A9s? QJo?

I have PF rules here, but I'm not always comfortable with an aggressive line here. Would like to know how others approach this situation.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: What is standard here? PF Question

1) I would raise as well, unless one of the limpers was 13/5 or something ridiculously tight like that.

2) I usually stop at 3 limpers, unless they all have ridiculous VPIPs. That's just an arbitrary cutoff, though.

3) I usually raise TT with 2-3 limpers, but not usually 88-99, unless I feel that it will give me the initiative.

4) How low I go is a function of the limpers' VPIPs and the number of limpers. If the two limpers have 40+ VPIP, I'm probably raising A9s and KTo. I've never liked raising QJo myself, but if someone makes a convincing argument, I might have to add it to my game.

This is just the way I play. I'm curious to hear others' opinions on the subject.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:21 PM

As a side note, I think RAISING KQo is better than AT. On ace high boards you can often take it down with a continuation bet, and top pair with KQ typically pays off more than top pair with an ace.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, I think RAISING KQo is better than AT. On ace high boards you can often take it down with a continuation bet, and top pair with KQ typically pays off more than top pair with an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

This the same argument for raising QJ. You often get credit for a A/K, but you get action when you hit.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. 2 players have limped, the SB completes. My standard line is to raise here. Though I am OOP, I figure juice the pot with a pretty good TPTK-type hand.

1)Is there a good reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

2)How many limpers before this is a check?

3)88-TT?

4)For non-paired starting hands, how low do you go? A9s? QJo?

I have PF rules here, but I'm not always comfortable with an aggressive line here. Would like to know how others approach this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im probably too tight out of the BB, but I'll list my default strategy, with 3 people committed like in your example I would raise, AQo,AKo,AJs,ATs,KJs,KQs,QQ,KK,AA.
With 2 people committed, I would also raise AJo, and KQo,JJ,TT. With JJ or TT I raise against 2 or less opponents and 5 or more. With 99 and 88, I raise against 1 or less or 5 and more. With 4 opponents or more committed I will also raise with JTs,QJs. And of course with even more opponents I will raise with hands like Axs,and any pocket pair, and sometimes hands like 109s, or 98s. So to answer your questions: 1) I see nothing inherently wrong with your raise against 3 opponents as long as you dont always make that continuation bet. If you are firing on T96 type of flops after raising with KQ or AJ then youre just giving your money away. 2) I usually check after 3 limpers
3) Already answered in my explanations. 4)KQo and ATs is usually as low as i go for those categories. Lastly everything I have stated is subject to change depending how loose my opponents are, how well they play post flop, and what they think of me. Feel free to criticize me if im too tight.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This the same argument for raising QJ. You often get credit for a A/K,

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, until you show down QJo a few times.

If you are playing in a game with weak-tights where people are giving lots of "credIit" then I suppose this is fine. And I don't think raising KQo with that number of limpers is bad... but I wouldn't go much further outside of that range/# of players. Especailly if you are in a game with aggros or even slightly thinking people with aggro tendencies since you are entering into a sh*t storm if you are just auto-betting flops/turns.