Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Admitting defeat

Everyone has their comfort zone, and for most there's
an upper limit. For me, I'm just not comfortable beyond 40-80, plus my skill set isn't geared towards the bigger games.

A great post. Everyone needs to know their limitations.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 AM

i second that. I don't quite play as high as you , but often play 80/160 or 100/200 mixed live and it is easier than any middle level party or stars game, and its not particularly close.

even the straight 80 holdem game at bellagio is comparable to the party 10.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:12 PM

how did you lose that much on bj? isn't max bet $200?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:26 PM

I'm not really trained to handle situations bigger than $15/30 or so, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm here if you need me.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I find that I enjoy it more, can win without playing my A-game (just yesterday, I called a raise in the SB w/ 62s, went on to win a large pot and laughed as some guy insulted obscenities at me), no financial stress, and I've found that w/ the level of competition at 30/60 and the number of hands you can get 4-tabling, I almost never have to book a losing day.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you so good? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 PM

Look at the BB/100.

-Diplomat
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 PM

It's no doubt a very emotionally draining limit on most, a fast, furious and usually very tough game, and some rake to boot too.

1000 big bet swings are common in this game, I know of several persons who have endured them.

lars
Old 10-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It's no doubt a very emotionally draining limit on most, a fast, furious and usually very tough game, and some rake to boot too.

1000 big bet swings are common in this game, I know of several persons who have endured them.

lars
endured means they are still playing. I call BS on 1000 BB swings being common at 300/600.

can you name a few players who "endured" this and are still around? the specific game BK is referring to, and i guess you must be too, i think i know close to every player who plays it with any regularity.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post BK. A few days ago I had my worst day too -23K, it was not from poker it was from party blackjack oof! I'm such an idiot but that's another story.

Funny thing was even though I was down 23K I felt really fine. I slept good and was in an upbeat mood the next day. I remembered the first time I lost 1K I almost broke down in a cold sweat. I guess it does help that I'm still up a good amount for the month though, otherwise [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] I made a killing this month in poker only to lose 23K in party BJ wtf!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I won't be playing that anymore, shesh.

I think you'll get back on another winning street and forget about this though. It's poker and sometimes even the very best players start to doubt themselves when they go on a losing streak. You have one of the best minds in poker I've seen and I have no doubt you'd be a very successful very high limit player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey pete, the blackjack thing is not a good sign. It could be an early warning sign of a gambling problem. Seems like you learned your lesson though, so gratz for that.
-James
Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM

Ballsy post. This, among other things(keeping a positive attitude during downswings) is really a testament to how far you've come over the last year or so. Compare this to some of your other "results" posts and be proud, bud.
-James