Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Default JJ gets doubledonked

Villain is 32/21/2.3 TAG.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP calls.

I don't have a good feel for what this bet means, but my hand is pretty vulnerable and I assume I'm still ahead a good chunk of the time.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Now I'm thinking he must have a made hand since he can't expect me to fold here often enough to bet a draw. I also assume his range is now tilted more toward queens or better.

River: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

I'm pretty confused here. Why wouldn't he bet for value here with a made hand? Bet-folding could be a good option, but I'd really like to guarantee a showdown.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Comments?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: JJ gets doubledonked

Bump- I think this is a pretty interesting hand. Playing well in big pots like this one is vital and I'd like to hear how others handle the spots I encountered here.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:27 PM

he didn't bet for value because he's probably pushing a nut flush/nut straight draw. I say value bet this
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM

I'd bet the river. This kind of player would probably bet a Q here. Unless he put you on a busted draw and is inducing a bluff.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 PM

By the turn, I think his hand could be some kind of marginal-to-good hand like KT or QJ that doesn't want to give your possible AK or AJ a turn free card/wants some information. If you feel comfortable folding to a turn 3-bet I think raising the turn is another viable option. Given your line I'm pretty sure you can value bet the river.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confused here. Why wouldn't he bet for value here with a made hand? Bet-folding could be a good option, but I'd really like to guarantee a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a T or an underpair like 77-99 as easily as it is a Q. It could also be a busted draw. Unless you also know him to be very tricky, I think you can bet the river without fear of getting raised by anything other than a hand that has you soundly beat. I favor betting the river over checking through barring the read that he is able to C/R a worse hand here (I thik he has to put you on either a FD or a decent pair like AT, JJ and pocekts like 99 or 88, QJs, etc. -- i.e., enough of a hand to take your actions on the flop and turn, but not enough to raise the turn. A turn raise may have been the play now that I think it through.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 AM

OK yea I wasn't exactly playing well that night and I think betting the river should have been automatic. Raising the turn is something I was indeed wondering about. Are you then betting the river as well? I don't think there is much merit to raising for a free showdown here.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:03 AM

Raising the turn would be for value and would be followed by betting the river. I agree that raising the turn for a free showdown has little, if any, merit.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 AM

I don't know I just don't think we're winning more than 50% of the times we're called on a river bet- his line is strange for any hand he could have so its hard to discount a queen that much.