Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Flop bottom pair, checked around

Just joined this table and have no reads. But this situation comes up several times per night and I'm still not really sure what my best move is on the turn. I usually try to let the pot size dictate my action, avoiding getting involved in the small ones.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero ...

Not sure how I should have handled this turn. Is betting out here better? Or check and see what action develops?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Flop bottom pair, checked around

fold.

not really worth messing around with here. you have no idea where you are at, there is a small pot, and your hand is easily hurt by lots of cards.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:36 AM

I call this. If the river doesn't bring something real nasty like an Ace of clubs or something, then I call down. Sure it's a small pot, but this smells just like a position steal, and I sure don't like to give away money, no matter how small the pot is.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold.

not really worth messing around with here. you have no idea where you are at, there is a small pot, and your hand is easily hurt by lots of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is REALLY weak.

button didn't bet the flop which means he didn't catch ANY part of it. if he had any pair then he would of bet.

button most likely caught a durty 4

i would seriously think about raising here. you shut down the field, and button might just fold right there. or you can just check/call the turn and river to induce bluff.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:12 AM

I fold. There's just not enough money to make it worth sticking around with such a sucky hand.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 AM

It would be a shame to fold this. If he is not a complete idiot you have nothing to worry about here. Since he is last to act he would probably have been betting a pair of tens and all better hands on the flop. The chance of being outkicked here by A7 or K7 is minimal, and the chance he has got 88 or 99 and not bet the flop is also very little. A calldown would only have to be successful 31% of the time, but since your hand is vulnerable this is not your best option. You should raise this, and will probably take it down immediately.

An even better option is to simply bet out on the turn. You don't want to give them a free card when you have a hand that is very likely best at the moment, but very vulnerable.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:22 AM

This is clear fold without reads. Position is bad. Pot is small. Holding is really marginal. There are two players acting behind you.

Situation is different if you have reads that Button is habitual stealer.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:28 AM

Then what do think Button is holding? If he's ultrapassive he might have checked a T on the flop. But since we assume he is a "standard" player, what possible holdings can he have that beats us here?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 AM

He does not have to be ultrapassive to play T, 99 or 88 like this. It is just good post-flop poker against large field. Some players also slow-play better hands especially from Button.

But that is not main problem. There are two players acting behind you must also beat. So you must raise and invest 2 BB raise to win 3,5 BB. If you are re- raised or called you are dead. If you are called turn calling river bet is spewing.

You have to have reads that Button is aggressive and can laydown hands and that two other players are not loose-passive in order to win this multiway hand more than 36 % of the time. Raising turn in situations like this is good play when opposition is right, but against unknowns I do not like it.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 AM

Its obviously read depandant, but I would often raise here, expecting to win the pot right there at least one in three times.