Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is she hot?
hell yeah, she's so damn hot! 5 20.00%
God no! 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: What have we learned so far?

[ QUOTE ]
This is all a red herring. As I mentioned further upthread, grant the OP the fact that the resurrection actually occurred in a supernatural fashion. This line of questioning our scientific knowledge, etc, is a diversion.

What about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst it doesn't logically follow that christianity is correct, once you have conceded the existence of a divine god who has a special relationship with Jesus then its hard to argue that christianity isn't on pretty solid ground.

I'd rather understand how DS gets as far as a divine god because known phyiscs has been violated following a prediction of the violation.

chez
Old 09-10-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whilst it doesn't logically follow that christianity is correct, once you have conceded the existence of a divine god who has a special relationship with Jesus then its hard to argue that christianity isn't on pretty solid ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Even if this is the case, there is nothing inherent in this circumstance that proves the majority of christianity. Christianity would still be an unsurprising result of humanity's attempts at explanation and psychological fulfillment surrounding an extraordinary event. Note that I'm ceding that the resurrection happened, and that it happened at the hand of a divine being, no more, no less.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather understand how DS gets as far as a divine god because known phyiscs has been violated following a prediction of the violation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:21 AM

My main problem is not with results but with methodology.

I am not saying that you could not isolate and incorporate into mainstream science aspects of Christian belief. Just such advancements would be the result of diligent study not just giving up.

While analysing video footage of an apparent miracle, you might discover the presence of an alien life that shows all the characteristics of an Angel. This might be confirmed by a follow up project. However attempts to capture the alien failed for inexplicable reasons.

The discovery of a yet unknown presence in the human mind whose purpose cannot be found. At the same time at the new Stellar Particle Accelerator, the isolation of a new ‘particle’ that has strange properties and appears to affect the ‘life aura’ in some way. A lot of dead and confused chimps later, the derivation of a set of field equation that show how the new aleph-8 particles can act as agents for transmutating the human life aura, giving us the first understanding of the mechanisms of life after death.

Then never to be forgotten those terrifying pictures from our first unmanned probe into hell.

[ QUOTE ]
Not as long as you grant that God started out as having a minute possibility of existing

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don’t. It’s not that I give God a zero percent chance of existing, it’s that the word God in isolation is meaningless to me. There are so many different definitions and opinions about God that the word just reeks confusion.

Start with small bite sized chunks and slowly build a complete picture, that’s the way of understanding complicated messes.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 AM

He has to predict it and also say it was because of a divine god. Even then it would still make the specifics of most Christian religions probably wrong.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He has to predict it and also say it was because of a divine god. Even then it would still make the specifics of most Christian religions probably wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have reason to believe the prediction was accurate but why do we believe he gave us the correct reason - is that an assumption or do you have some reason to belive its probable his telling the truth.

chez
Old 09-10-2005, 05:30 PM

"(I'm going to stop saying this stuff if I don't get a little applause from BluffTHIS taxq007 et al.)"

lol. You're exactly right. Keep it up.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol. You're exactly right. Keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's next to impossible to get someone to concede an argument on an internet messageboard. I suppose this will have to do. David, I accept.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:35 PM

What are you talking about?
Old 09-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Exactly.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:23 AM

49-47, the believers take the statistically insignificant lead