Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Default $22s, good bubble push?

still can't get the converter to work for UB hands.
fourhanded.

Villain (4415)
Button (2330)
Hero (SB) (6440)
BB (1815)

100-200 blinds

Villain raises to 400, button folds, hero calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB folds.

Flop (pot is T1000):

5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villain bets 1000, hero check-raises all-in.

Standard or stupid?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: $22s, good bubble push?

Ive seen that play alot with people whos pp's dont hit, and I think hes trying to shove you off the Jack. I would agree with this, given not only odds, but table image.

EDIT: yeahh, given that you'll still be ahead of the short stack... I wouldnt hesitate on this one. I think if your Ace hits you'll be ahead as well, but I obviously have no read on villain
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Oh for sure.

He should have pushed. Punish him for his error.

And of course you have the nut flush draw, which is nice.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 PM

OK, I thought it was fine too. I was just wondering because he called with AK-- that's right, no pair, no draw-- and it stayed good.
So my main question was "are the players at the 22s smart enough to avoid going broke on the bubble ?"

In other words, was his all-in call with an unpaired AK, second in chips against the chip leader, on the bubble, typical or atypical, based on anyone's experience?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 PM

it looks to me like hero caught. I'd fold
Old 09-02-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I thought it was fine too. I was just wondering because he called with AK-- that's right, no pair, no draw-- and it stayed good.
So my main question was "are the players at the 22s smart enough to avoid going broke on the bubble ?"

In other words, was his all-in call with an unpaired AK, second in chips against the chip leader, on the bubble, typical or atypical, based on anyone's experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely insanely typical for the 22s. Unless a player has displayed some bubble sense do not expect them to realize they are risking easy money for 4th place on the thinnest of margins. They will make calls you cannot even imagine. I found that it pays to be a little more patient and pass on situations that require the other guy to think for 1/2 a second. A big part of my bubble play at the 22s is staying out of the way and watching them make these great calls against each other.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 PM

I think it's a great push considering the three potential scenarios:

1. He folds and you have a HUGE chip lead.
2. He calls and you win and you are ITM with a HUGE chip lead.
3. He calls and you lose and you are still essentially in a three way tie for second.

No brainer.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 PM

I think raising is definitely the play. A full pot bet is usually an indicator of weakness in the 22s. You'll usually see a raiser who hits the flop (or has an overpair) bet more in the 2/3ish range.

However, I think raising to 27-2800 is the play. It's pot-committing, so it shouldn't really make a difference. But make it look like you want the call.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think raising to 27-2800 is the play. It's pot-committing, so it shouldn't really make a difference. But make it look like you want the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. You think it might be more likely to fold a hand like AK? (Whereas a push might obviously look like a flush draw?)

I think I like it. Of course, I also think it might be too subtle for a $22er who doesn't know to fold to the push anyway.

I'll ponder that.