Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:07 AM

Default I hit my hand, now what do I do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

CO (t3845)
Button (t880)
Hero (t1485)
BB (t1655)
UTG (t620)
MP (t1515)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t150</font>

Final Pot: t350

As you can see I hit my hand on the turn, but I don't really know where to go from here. I'm thinking a check-raise to about 475 may be best. Does anyone call here and lead out the river?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: I hit my hand, now what do I do?

I'd never check-call the turn, too many bad cards can come on the river.

Although I pretty much always bet the flop headsup, I'm often in a similar situation where I check-called a draw and the rest of the field folded. Lately, In similar situations, I've been just betting 1/2-2/3 the pot on the turn.

Betting or checkraising, a 9 or better (or something he values too much) will probably get all the money in with you. Checkraising, anything less than a 9 is a pretty easy fold. Betting, you confuse him and get called down, even raised, by all kinds of random stuff. I think the only time I'd check-raise is when the stacks are deep enough that I can fold to an all-in, which is pretty much never.

I believe the term for this term bet in limit is donk-bet?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: I hit my hand, now what do I do?

Level 3 blind play and/or steal situations is a prevalent leak in my game. I won't tell you what you should do, because, I don't know.

I would have just given the button his money, but J8s is pretty good in the blinds so I can see why you'd want to play. I think if you do play you should either raise (something i don't like since it might build to pot too much)or bet the flop no what comes. Another option is to check raise the flop no what comes as long as villians bet isn't too big.

After you checked the flop and he bets 50, I think you should have gone all-in. There's no way to take him for a made hand.

Having played it the way that you did, I think all-in on the turn is the only way you can go. His bet indicates he either has a has Jack, 2 clubs or a pair and all of these have outs to beat you or tie you.