Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Default 3 flush with an overcard tournament hand

What is the play here? This was a 40 person tourney, down to 12, top 5 ITM. I am currently sitting in 10th, and a double up would put me right about on the bubble with 4 others. I decided to pick a better spot...

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High - Level VIII (300/600), Ante 50, Bring-In 100 (hand converter)

Hero: 2,457
Seat 3: 5,474
Seat 4: 6,596
Seat 5: 3,833
Seat 6: 8,996
Seat 8: 4,609

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: 1.33 SB
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Caution, bubble loss rant!

Well it didn't matter as I went out in 6th with this crap:

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High - Level X (600/1,200), Ante 100, Bring-In 200 (hand converter)

Seat 1: 15,292
Seat 3: 11,701
Seat 4: 2,859
Seat 5: 21,678
Seat 6: 6,710
Hero: 1,760

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets 460 and is all-in

6th Street - (3.43 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___all-in

River - (3.43 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in

Total pot: 3.43 BB
Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 3 flush with an overcard tournament hand

I'd have played the hand. T300 isn't going to break you nor seriously ruin your chances of making it to the money. If you hit an ace or diamond you're looking at a good spot to make a huge return. There's 11 cards of 44 that look good to you, that's 3:1 with the pot offering 2.33:1. Not bad if you consider implied odds.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 PM

With 3 live cards(one an overcard), and only one diamond dead, I'm going all the way with this hand. Perfect spot to double up and cripple another.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 PM

This is probably close enough that it depends on the player. If the raiser has been raising a lot or is otherwise likely to be stealing, I'd reraise right there. Otherwise I think the fold is ok, if you hit your draw but don't make it it will cost you enough that you will be crippled.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 3 live cards(one an overcard), and only one diamond dead, I'm going all the way with this hand. Perfect spot to double up and cripple another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is partially the problem with this hand. You pretty much are going all in and all you have is Ace high....granted the other guy was probably just on a steal.

If he has something like 22K or just high cards i have a slight edge, but with 99K I am a dog. I know you should push these small edges, but it means life in the tournament.

I ended up getting up to about 5K with KKx and QQQ down the road and then bubbled.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 PM

I play, probably raising at that.

You're at a point where you need to make a move. It doesn't have to be this hand, but it has to be fairly soon, certainly before the limits go up. If you ante off too much of your stack, making a move isn't going to help you enough.

I would guess that most players would raise in the King's position most of the time, irrespective of their hole cards. I know I do, unless maybe I've been stealing a lot of late and I have pure garbage underneath.

There is a pretty good chance that you have the best hand, in my estimation. I would guess that if you raise now, you will be able to persuade him to give up fifth a goodly percentage of the time. If he has Kings, well, you're going to have to catch.

If for some reason you think he really does have a hand, you might muck, but you can't sit on your hands much longer.