Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 07-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Default \"zen and the art of poker\"

I searched psych/book forums for this and "tao of poker" but no hits. Anyone have opinions on buying this or know if there's some review here of it/them?

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: \"zen and the art of poker\"

Neither of them are going to improve you BB/100 a great deal, but they do have value as far as the mental side of the game is concerned. They are both worth the $10.00 (approx.) and are good reads. Zen is the better of the 2 and some have said that if your going to read them both that Tao should be read first.

As far as the reviews go I'm sure there are some on the site but probably are difficult to search for. I have no links to hook you up with, but I suggest searching for them through google or something.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Don't forget the archives. Use the "recent archives" link at the top of the archive page.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I searched psych/book forums for this and "tao of poker" but no hits. Anyone have opinions on buying this or know if there's some review here of it/them?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...zen_poker.html

http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/..._of_poker.html

These are books designed to help a player gain better control over themselves. The books have their flaws, but I think they can be helpful to a fair number of poker players. If you're interested, buy "Zen" first. If you decide you really want a bunch more of the same sort of thing, go ahead and buy "Tao".
Old 07-16-2005, 01:55 AM

Both books are good reads.

Definately worth it.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:00 AM

I am amazed at the number of people who recommend these books when there are sections where he practically says that you have to 'feel' when the cold-streak is coming...but don't leave if the cards are about to get hot...etc etc.

The part where says that the math is 'over-rated' is a highlight.

He practically insists that a good poker-player needs to be psychic regarding when you are going to get good cards or not. "Leave the table if the cards are running bad...but be sure not to leave before they turn good for you."
This is one of the primary messages of the book over and over.

I don't have it with me so can't quote direct passages.

Some of the stuff about patience and discipline is decent and should be helful reading material if that is an aspect of your game that you would like to improve upon (and who wouldn't) but you HAVE to be careful to sift through the total idiotic crap that he pushes in-between the decent stuff.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:27 PM

Put the books down, Grasshopper. You are not ready to snatch the pebble [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks all - I'm going to buy it. My mistake for not including in OP that I'm considering one/both strictly to work on my temper.

I've been going through "Inside the Poker Mind" (I like) and had only a couple minutes to flip through "zen..." in the book store. IIRC I spotted a couple references to "intuition" and/or "feel" so even though I liked other parts didn't know if those non-poker attributes made up much of the book's advice.

Mike
Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 PM

If you are too stupid to be able to distinguish between the bad and the good in a book then you need a brain transplant and will probably struggle in poker.

The book has some fluff in it like every book but the rest of it is great. What makes it good is that you wont find this stuff in 2+2 books and it is a much needed look at areas such as discipline and psychology.

Poker is practically 80% discipline if not more.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM

This book is pure new age crap in my opinion, if you want a book thats deal with the mindset for avoiding tilt and swings i recommend the first section of ciaffones improve your poker. A lot of practical tips that is helping me every session.