Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Don\'t slowplay a monster in family pot!

Yesterday, I learned a lesson that probably cost me $125 in lost income. As the subject says, don't slowplay a monster hand when the pot is multiway. Someone WILL call your bet!!!

Party $100 NL... I look down at 33 in LP and there were 3 limpers to me. Hero tossed a coin in and so did Button. SB completed and BB checked.

Flop: T, 3, 3

Cool... How should I proceed to get as much I can out of this? Flop gets checked around... Turn is a Q. Gets checked around to me and I check again, hoping that someone hit. River is another Q and this time BB bets out $5. Folded to me and I raise to $15... He calls and flips over TT [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Of course, the river Q scared him... So, this is a lesson learned. Even if it doesn't seem likely, when there's 7 to see the flop, at least one more player has a piece of it. This time he had the freakin' second nuts...
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Don\'t slowplay a monster in family pot!

i like to put 1/2 - 3/4 of a pot sized bet here on the flop. if he pushes you're in good shape, if he smooth calls, make a bet roughly the size of the pot, if you get raised, you're in luck.

with TT, he's not folding. ever.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Hes not checking the turn ever either....

Oh wait that donkey actually did. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Jesus, when did he think he was gonna build a pot?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 AM

checking the flop is fine (although i'd bet), but you have to bet out on the turn...even if it's just half-pot..
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM

bet the flop, unless of course all your opponents will take that as a screaming indication of 3333.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Iunno bout all that...but someone needs to bet this turn it takes weak passive slowplay to new heights.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:41 AM

INHO....I've NEVER seen anyone bet or raise quads. They are always slow played. Since quads are not really "slap in the face" visible here... raise. More often than not...I see quads make no money unless it's someone calling what they think is a bluff or they go after the tight. So I raise here and raise a fair bit... enough to make it look lioke a bluff or that I'm buying it.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Don't be afraid of not getting action. Make your bets. Checking the flop isn't horrible, but a 1/2 size pot bet wouldn't be so big as to scare anyone off with a real hand. And if you run into a bunch of missed hands then that's just unlucky -- most of the luck in poker doens't have to do with the quality of cards you're dealt, but rather what your opponents get when you make a strong hand. You get paid off best when you have a good hand and an opponent has a good, but slightly worse one.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
INHO....I've NEVER seen anyone bet or raise quads. They are always slow played. Since quads are not really "slap in the face" visible here... raise. More often than not...I see quads make no money unless it's someone calling what they think is a bluff or they go after the tight. So I raise here and raise a fair bit... enough to make it look lioke a bluff or that I'm buying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($22.95)
MP2 ($47.77)
MP3 ($13.35)
CO ($9.95)
Button ($45.3)
SB ($24.4)
BB ($25)
UTG ($37.3)
UTG+1 ($53.1)
UTG+2 ($20.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3, 3. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, 2 folds, SB (poster) raises to $0.9, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, MP2 calls $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.25) 3, 3, 4 (5 players)
SB bets $3, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $3, MP2 calls $3, MP3 calls $3.

Turn: ($17.25) J (4 players)
SB bets $10, Hero calls $10, MP2 calls $10, SB checks, MP2 calls $8.95, SB calls $8.95.

River: ($55.15) K (4 players)

SB checks.

Hero is all-In [$8.95]

MP2 calls [$8.95].

SB calls [$8.95].

SB shows [ Ac, As ] two pairs, aces and threes.

Hero shows [ 3h, 3s ] four of a kind, threes.

MP2 doesn't show [ 4c, Kd ] two pairs, kings and fours.

Hero wins $28.5 from side pot #1 with four of a kind, threes.

Hero wins $51.95 from the main pot with four of a kind, threes.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid of not getting action. Make your bets. Checking the flop isn't horrible, but a 1/2 size pot bet wouldn't be so big as to scare anyone off with a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What "real hand" do you expect anyone to have here with an unraised preflop and T 3 3 flop.

The biggest reason people don't get paid off on quads is NOT that 2 people slowplay a monster, it's that no one has anything worth calling a bet...especially when hero is in LP and checked to.