Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Inflated BR for aggression?

Inflated BR for aggression?

I find I play a more aggressive game (5/10 6max) when I have an inflated bankroll (400-500 BB). Is this a strategy that others use or could it be a flaw in my approach to the game? I think the reason I play more aggressive is I feel comfortable knowing I can afford to take a hit while on the other side of the coin I play with apprehension when my BR is between 250-350 BB.

If some of you experienced >= 5/10 6max players think this is unnatural and I have a problem, please give me direction.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Inflated BR for aggression?

i would say then that you should move down when you get in that 250 to 350 range.

it may be natural, but if it changes your style to too passive... then you should do something else until you are not hindered... like building back up at a smaller limit.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 PM

I think the key is if you find yourself being careless or making -EV decisions, you have a problem. I can identify with being more confident when my BR is 400-500 BB, but that doesn't mean I can afford to piss it away with careless play.

This problem is the converse of being too passive/gunshy when your BR is low, yet it's just as costly.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 PM

Its not that unnatural, but thats just one of the reasons that having 500+ BR is a good idea. Going on a 300 BB slide would be quite rare, but even still, if you only have a 300 BB roll, then its natural to start playing scared if you know that one bad day can easily cost you half your BR that took so long to build up. Some people can probabaly operate well, and play optimum with the pressure of a smaller BR, but if you can't its nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Thanks all. I will also be calculating my suggested BR, using variance etc, it would be interesting to find out how close my calculated BR is to my comfort level. I am guessing that they are very close (+- 400BB).