Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 11:28 AM

Default 6max NL25$ (Party) general observation, am I correct?

Hi all;

I have been playing 6 max for a couple of months (well a month and a half really) and heres what I found out. I know you are all going to say that my sample is to small... (only 2k hands and you are ABSOLUTLY RIGHT) but this is a general remark, here goes.

I am normally sitting down playing my tight game waiting for a good hand to come than after a few rounds I hit a good hand (AKo, AJs,...)somthing like this (I am not talking about AA or KK) and so if there is no action I raise 4BB (my usual raise),first of all I have read in othere 2+2 posts that when you raise you should do your usual raise say 4BB in my case + 1 BB for every limper, is this correct, I never add $ for limpers, should I?. But this is not the point so anyway I raise 4BB now 2-3 people call and the pot has around 10BB the flop usually comes rags and so it is checked to me and I proceed with my usual raise 2/3 of the pot which is 6BB so now normally 1-2 people call the pot is 16BB and the turn brings another blank and I fire 2/3 of the pot again around 10BB (fire the second bullet as Stewart Reuben suggests in his book PL and NL poker), note that If I get raised at any point I fold, then If I still have callers I check the river. The problem is many times I get to showdown with an A card high and get beaten by a small pair and in the mean while I have lost 40% of my buy in from around 20$ to 13$. And here I face a dilema either play short stack or rebuy, both I dislike. So my solution comes from my very limited experience in the SnG tournies. I play really tight at the begining so in the example above If I get dealt AKo I raise 4BB and the flop comes rags I check and normally some one will steal the pot. But the hole point is I wait till I double up or nearlly double up and then begin to lossen up. Am I correct here?

thanks in advance

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: 6max NL25$ (Party) general observation, am I correct?

[ QUOTE ]
I am normally sitting down playing my tight game waiting for a good hand to come than after a few rounds I hit a good hand

[/ QUOTE ]
a tight approach at 6 max., does that really work? With this image I would guess you win the Pot often uncontested PF.

[ QUOTE ]
and so if there is no action I raise 4BB (my usual raise)......so anyway I raise 4BB now 2-3 people call

[/ QUOTE ]
hm, I usually have a LAGgy image at 6 max. My standard raise is 6xBB and I estimate I get 1-2 opponents on average on my standard raise. I prefer having less opponents and a higher pot, holding a hand that usually just makes TP when it hits the flop.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:38 PM

You don't have the folding equity to fire when you miss in a multiway pot at nl25. Just check. Heads-up on most boards you can pop it. No need to waste your money stealing pots - they'll give it to you.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:33 PM

I usually raise about potsize PF. The amount of $$ allready in the pot before you do anything plus twice the amount you have to put in just to call.
But besides that, if i miss i usually bet a little under the pot on the flop. 2/3 should be about right. But i dont think you should fire a second bullet unless you think he was on a draw which didnt turn. Someone with a small pair who is stupid enough to call the first bullet will prabably call the second as well. So a second bullet should only be after much consideration, in my opinion.
Note that the first bullet you fire on the flop isn't nessecarily a steal. Just because you missed doesn't mean he didn't.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:17 AM

That's a bluff. Betting when you have nothing. I found that bluffing was a huge hole in my game. Now that I've cut it out, I've had 3 consecutive winning nights. Tonight, I'm only up $ 8 but I'm still up. I was up $70 yesterday and $30 before that. I would be up about $30 tonight but my top two pair on flop got rivered by a flush by some maniac that likes to go all-in with flush draws.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:53 AM

Thanks a lot guys;

Maybe Ill strat doing so, betting more on the flop and If I dont hit anything by the turn and I am still A high card just check/fold the turn

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]