Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Default SB speculation

This is probably out there but...

I am always trying to look for opportunities to gain more chips when playing NL tournaments vs weak opponents. I am starting to see a trend in the tournaments I play and I want to know what you all think of this.

Many times I will see a weak play limp MP2, MP3, CO, BUT. Everytime I remember this player is limping in with some junk hand, a suited connector, JTo, Ax crap, , QT, just something I wouldnt limp with (raise or fold is my philosophy). Then I look down in the SB at a hand lke K9o, K8o, K7s, QJ, KT.

Considering the weak player, the fact that he limped, and that I have something I would normally steal a blind with in my hands would it not be prudent to raise here considering I can probably get the limper and BB to fold or get it HU with a better hand? I'm just tossing this out there. If your the SB with his bet, the BB's bet in the pot do you have enough pot odds to pull this off? Also raising from the SB OOP into a caller seems stronger than raising on the button to most players?!

I kept keeping track of when weak players limped and every single time (lets say 95%) they limped in with some garbage and my K(medium kicker) was a better hand. I assume even if they call with Ax your 40/60 and unless the Ace hits your done. Its an easy play post flop I would think.

Thoughts? Am I way out there? Just looking for more ways to exploit weak players. I am always looking for edges to gain more chips.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: SB speculation

Very relevant thoughts but IMHO you're missing one very important factor. Will they fold to your raise often enough? People who limp with A7o MP normally do that because they think it's a fine hand. So what's another 3BB's to them?

If called you claim that post flop play would be easy. You could be right, but I doubt it. Playing K9o OOP has not been a part of my wet dreams yet