Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Identifying Profitable Tables and Players with Poker Tracker and HUD?

Hi Everyone,
Recently I busted myself back to 0.02/0.04 and am trying to work my way up. Something I should've done earlier, no doubt.

Well, as I work my way, and bankroll up through the levels again, I think I've hit my Peter Principle limit at about 0.50/1.00 or perhaps 1/2.

So I am beginning to wonder if PokerTracker and a HUD are tools are things I should now seriously consider. Especially since I've found I *prefer* playing 4+ tables. The activity rate greatly helps me to stay focused.

So I'm beginning to wonder how one actually uses PokerTracker and a HUD in reality.

Can it answer a question like, "How often does player X bluff with an Ace on board and he doesn't have it?" etc.? Or is it primarily 100% a statistical averages tool?

What does a profitable table look like in it?

Etc.?

How can I quickly assess this tool and get it into use without having it distract too much from playing time?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Identifying Profitable Tables and Players with Poker Tracker and HUD?

Get PT and use it to examine your own game.

Play one or two tables.

Move forward from there.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Identifying Profitable Tables and Players with Poker Tracker and H

PT and PAHud are great tools, and you should definitely get them. First, by itself, PT will help you evaluate your own game and possibly find some of your largest leaks. Coupled with PAHud, it is much easier to keep track of players in game and know who is decent and who sucks.

I personally play 5-6 tables of SH and so making a lot of individual reads is tough. When I notice someone doing something particularly strange/stupid/good, I make a note of it. But otherwise, I look at the stats and use them to help me determine what to do. A lot of the time I will 3-bet marginal hands preflop because I notice that the previous raiser has a PFR of 30%. Playing 5-6 tables of SH, it would be nearly impossible to remember who is raising how often without the hud. It won't answer specific questions like the example you gave but it still provides great information. Multitablers can't go without it.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Identifying Profitable Tables and Players with Poker Tracker and HUD?

I play full tables (not 6 max)

I usually fire up 4 tables and wait for my PT/PAHUD reads.

Any table with table VPIP of < 25 is on the chopping block, 25-30 is acceptable, 30+ is a sweet table.

I also look at table PFR, ideally you'd like it low. You want a table of loose-passive donks for maximum profitablility/minimum variance.

Like I said, I will periodically whack my worst table and load up a new one.

You must play a minimum of 3 orbits before you get even decent initial stats.

The numbers themselves are useful for knowing what hands players play and how scared of them you should be.

If you're HU against some 70 VPIP guy you know he more than likely has a few rags.

If a 15/2 rock guy raises in EP you can fold your KQo behind him knowing he HAS to have a hand better than that (usually way better). But if some 60/35 maniac raises you simply 3 bet with the same KQo

etc.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:04 AM

I hate to bother you guys asking what some of the abbreviations used in this thread mean, but I will anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] HUD? PAHud? PFR? VPIP? EP? Thanks to anyone who takes a sec to explain.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HUD? PAHud? PFR? VPIP? EP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads Up Display
PokerAce Heads Up Display
Pre-Flop Raise
Voluntarily Put $ Into Pot
Early Position