Default Re: Ordering wine in restaurants

[ QUOTE ]
Black coffee/ unsweetened coffee: Cab or Red Zinfidel
Regular coffee (ie cream+sugar): Merlot or syrah
Light coffee(light or real sweet) or a dark tea drinker: Pinot Noir
Lighter teas or tea with sugar: Charddoney
Tea with cream+sugar: Pinot Grigiot,

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

OP,

Good Reds:
-Merlot (Good, all around red wine, goes well with most foods)
-Shiraz (Lighter, and nice with most foods)
-Cabernet Sauvignon (Some love it, some hate it)

White
-Pino Grigio
-Chardonnay (Lighter)

If you're at a resturant where the waiters wear tux's, they you can rely on their advice.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Wine and dinner

Actually, it's not "normal" to order wine with dinner. In fact, I'm sure the majority of diners do not order wine with their meals. (Having been wait staff, I can tell you most people know nothing about wine and most don't order it except at very high end restaurants).

If you're out on a date and you're interested in ordering a bottle (that is, you plan to drink 2-3 glasses) then ask your date if there is anything on the wine menu that piques her interest because you think you'll order a bottle. Make it sound casual like that so she doesn't feel obligated to choose a wine.
If she can't or doesn't want to choose anything then go for it yourself or ask your server.

Notes:
If she makes any mention of alcoholism or she gives off bad vibes when you discuss drinking, by no means order a bottle and recondiser a glass.

If she is underage, forget it. Order a glass for yourself or just stick to soda/ ice tea. No need to make an awkward situation or get anyone fined.

If you're serious about a girl, cook dinner for her yourself and choose a great wine to compliment it. Bonus points = call her to ask if she's allergic to anything and to ask what wine she likes. (But don't get weird and stalkerish about it - ONE phone call only. Not text messages about it, no IMs...)

If a restaurant offers carafs, this is your new favorite restaurant.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Ordering wine in restaurants

Read a book like Wine For Dummies. Then go out and try a bunch of different wines.

As for the date advice, there's lots of pussy masters on this forum that can answer all your woman questions. That being said, if it's the first date you might want to take the initiative and pretend like you know what you're doing with the wine list. Try to find out if your date is much of a wine drinker. If she says no or she only drinks white wine, then order a pinot noir. Otherwise get whatever you want. If you really want to look cool, look to see if a particular wine is served by the glass. If it is, you can ask for a taste before ordering a bottle.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Wine and dinner

[ QUOTE ]
If a restaurant offers carafs, this is your new favorite restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently was in Calgary for business and ate at alot of nice places that used these. I have absolutely no idea what purpose they serve. Can someone explain to me why they are used and why this is better than normal?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, it's not "normal" to order wine with dinner. In fact, I'm sure the majority of diners do not order wine with their meals. (Having been wait staff, I can tell you most people know nothing about wine and most don't order it except at very high end restaurants).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be a regional thing. I've rarely been to a nice dinner where a bottle of wine has not been ordered.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Otis has a greater agenda here. His/her angle is to drastically reduce the amount of sex and drinking that goes on in this life.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM

it also serves as a decantar and usually cost a little less
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you most people know nothing about wine and most don't order it except at very high end restaurants).

[/ QUOTE ]

But when we do, we order *lots* of it!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this may be a regional thing. I've rarely been to a nice dinner where a bottle of wine has not been ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also cultural, Italian/French etc etc
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM

There is so much bad advice (and good) in here that someone should try to sort it out. I volunteer.

First off, congrats on turning 21 and wanting to learn something about the subject. You are ahead of 90% of the other 21 year-olds. Let's stick with ordering wine in a restaurant, anything else is too complex to start.

1. Most people don't know crap about wine. I know enough to know I don't know much, and I know quite a bit. Know this, name and price tell you little. If you've seen an advertisement, odds are it's bad. (Yellow Tail is a exception, but at $5 a bottle, you're getting value, not great wine.)

2. If you are in a chain restaurant, odds are the wine is not worth ordering. Higher end, it might be worth a shot, say something like Carrabba's (even they're questionable), Ruth's Chris, better local chains. Better to stick with the best draft microbrew. Less chance of getting something undrinkable. If you want wine with dinner, find a place that works on combining the two, generally a local place. They don't have to be too expensive, just aware of what's required. Ask around or check reviews.

3. Never order wine before ordering food. They need to match, no one can order wine properly without knowing what they're going to eat. (The exception will be if you know you're ordering steak. If you order steak in a restaurant regularly, you are too boring for words. NYC residents are exempt, since they aren't allowed to grill at home.)

4. If you're in a place you dare order wine, talk to the waiter. If he/she has no idea, don't order the stuff. If they do know what they're talking about, they should know what will match what you're ordering. Good chefs will have matched the wine with that night's selection and it should be available by the glass. That's right, by the glass. It's rare that you and your date will order something that will be best complimented by the same wine. Order a glass that will go best with each entree. And use the expertise of the waitstaff if they have any.

5. If a wine flight, generally 3 similar half glasses, that matches your entree is available, take it. Great way to learn about how different wines interact with the same food.

6. Allow red wine to breathe a little before tasting. Taste any wine to make sure you'll like it. Send it back if it's something you can't stand. On glass orders, this is really easy and they're generally accomdating. Better yet, ask for a taste before having them pour a glass. You'll have to guess a bit at how the red will turn out, but with experience you'll know what to look for.

That's it. Nothing about this goes with that, this is a good wine or this isn't. (Other than white zin or white merlot, which is almost NEVER good.) Be prepared to try different things, some which you'll like, some you won't. Just try it. Make mental notes of what works and what doesn't, what you like. Also, look for a class at a local wine store and learn more. After 20 or 30 years, you'll be amazed at how little you still know, but will have learned and enjoyed a lot.