Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: How to REALLY take advantage of metagame

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like alot of the HIGH stakes guys had a "Lucky win" and got BR'ed for a higher stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I think most just play a lot more than I have time for. I've got a wife and 3 kids running about the house. I typically 3-table 10 handed or 1-2 table 6-max. I'm maybe get in 15 hours a week of play time.

If I were single with lots of spare time, I could see 3-tabling 6-max for 30 hours a week.

I also pull out 2/3 of everything I make online. If I left it all in I'd have a BR of about 15k, which would let me at least play 15/30 instead of 5/10.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM

not sure if its easier to move up in nl or limit. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure if its easier to move up in nl or limit. Any thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrm...I can answer this w.r.t. live play (and by live I mean "Commerce.")

20/40 is only marginally harder than 9/18. There are differences and adjustments that need to be made, but there are not many of them, and the changes are not drastic.

At Commerce, the best small stakes NL players play 400 NL. Ergo, the 200 NL games can be truly terrific. But they're not twice as good as the 400 games.

To answer your question, it seems a lot easier to move up in limit than NL.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NC just f%$@ing amazing. you've risen faster through limits than anyone I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. A year ago I was playing 2/4. I'm now playing 5/10....lame.

I think Baron plays ALOT though. I average less than 10k hands a month.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, if you play around 25-30k hands per month and just move up or take shots when your bankroll allows you can move up pretty quickly with just a 1.5BB/100 win rate. This is assuming you don't take much out of your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def. agree with the last part. I'm rolled for 30/60 (playing 20/40 and 10/20 still) and i was playing 2/4 less then half a year ago. I wasnt playing poker at all 9 months ago. I'm averaging under 20k hands/month and havent run incredibly well (3 300BB+ downswings). I havent taken anything out and havent won any tournaments or jackpots.

It always surprises me when people are surprised at people moving up so quickly. If you are dedicated and run average its not that hard.